Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speidel Fermenter  (Read 8166 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Speidel Fermenter
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:53:11 am »
Considering getting the 30L fermenter...has anyone tried these? Results?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Speidel Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:55:34 am »
Friends of mine love them.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »
I have both the 20L and 30L and absolutely love them. They are seriously heavy duty plastic with two big handles on the side which makes carrying them easy and safe. The large screw on top makes cleaning them really easy, as you can get your hand in there to scrub if needed. I really like the giant 3-piece airlock, too. Less need for a blowoff tube, though I still use one on really big beers. They only drawback I have experienced is that the plastic is not clear, so you can't see into them as well as a plastic carboy. You can see the level of the liquid, though. For me, that's a minor issue compared to all the positives. I'd go with the 30L if you mostly do 5-6 gallon batches.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:02:18 pm »

They only drawback I have experienced is that the plastic is not clear, so you can't see into them as well as a plastic carboy. You can see the level of the liquid, though.

I have a 30L. My first batch with it is in the fermenter. I could kind of make out that a krausen had formed but that was about all I could see. I couldn't see when the krausen fell.

But I like it.

I am not sure if I will ever use the spigot to remove the beer. I have heard that grabs lots of yeast.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59:54 am »

They only drawback I have experienced is that the plastic is not clear, so you can't see into them as well as a plastic carboy. You can see the level of the liquid, though.

I have a 30L. My first batch with it is in the fermenter. I could kind of make out that a krausen had formed but that was about all I could see. I couldn't see when the krausen fell.

But I like it.

I am not sure if I will ever use the spigot to remove the beer. I have heard that grabs lots of yeast.

I have a 30L also and love it.  I use the spigot every time.  So far the level of yeast has been below the spigot.  However I have not brewed a lager nor a big beer in it.  The nice thing is the OD of the spigot is the same OD as the Ball-lock connector, so I just run a hose from the spigot to the beverage-in post to transfer to the keg.  works great!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20:47 am »

But I like it.

I have a 30L also and love it.  I use the spigot every time.  So far the level of yeast has been below the spigot.  However I have not brewed a lager nor a big beer in it.  The nice thing is the OD of the spigot is the same OD as the Ball-lock connector, so I just run a hose from the spigot to the beverage-in post to transfer to the keg.  works great!

I can't wait to see if my beer line is below the spigot. Your transfer method sounds great.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:22:51 am »
People in my club have been selling off their carboys in favor of these. They seem to be universally loved. I haven't seen or heard anybody criticize them outside of something not being able to use the spigot.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:15 am »
I recently bought a 60L. Used it for the first time this weekend. I am very impressed with it. I like that the spigot port is offset from center to allow you a little more space from the yeast cake.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:52:50 am »
I'm leaning on getting the 60L myself. I've been fermenting in sanke's but I hate pulling the spears.

One major upgrade these things could use is a racking arm that you can rotate off (and on) the yeast. I might try to come up with a mod for that.

Question: How sanitary is that spigot? Is it like the ones on the bottling buckets? I hate those. They don't disassemble and they are not sanitary.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:17:49 am »
I've got two of the 30L fermenters and really like them.  The spigot works great and seems to be at the perfect level for leaving yeast behind.  Then again, I mostly do 3 gallon batches but haven't had an issue with any of my 5 gallon ones.

Keith, here's a like a saw a while back about a stainless valve and rotating racking arm:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel-fermentors-now-stainless-rotating-racking-arm-449546/

So far, I haven't had any sanitary issues with the spigot.  The parts on them are larger than those on a bucket, however, it doesn't come completely apart so you have to be careful when cleaning them so you don't leave anything behind.

If you got a second spigot and put that on top, you could possibly us CO2 to push the beer out into the keg.  I've seen where people have done so and the fermenter had no problem holding 5psi, just haven't tried to do it myself yet. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 07:46:38 am »
That's awesome! Thanks Jeremy!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:37:10 am »
Nice, I'm really liking the look of those 60 liter fermenters. This mod makes them pretty awesome and it looks like you should be able to take them totally apart and boil the ss part so super sanitary!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:52:30 am »

I've got two of the 30L fermenters and really like them.  The spigot works great and seems to be at the perfect level for leaving yeast behind.  Then again, I mostly do 3 gallon batches but haven't had an issue with any of my 5 gallon ones.

Keith, here's a like a saw a while back about a stainless valve and rotating racking arm:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel-fermentors-now-stainless-rotating-racking-arm-449546/

So far, I haven't had any sanitary issues with the spigot.  The parts on them are larger than those on a bucket, however, it doesn't come completely apart so you have to be careful when cleaning them so you don't leave anything behind.

If you got a second spigot and put that on top, you could possibly us CO2 to push the beer out into the keg.  I've seen where people have done so and the fermenter had no problem holding 5psi, just haven't tried to do it myself yet.

You can pull the orange lever out of the spigot. As such you can get the spigot into its three separate pieces. However, pulling that orange lever may cause leaks overtime. I am not sure.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 09:06:01 am »

I bought a 2nd spigot, and took it apart to use the ring from it on the top.  Then I put a two-hole stopper in the top secured by the ring.  In the two holes in the stopper I put a thermowell and an airlock.  When it comes time to keg I put a valve with two hose barb ends in the hole where the airlock was, and attach co2 to it at 2-3 psi.  Works great!

With respect to sanitation of the spigot, I just spin the valve handle several times while soaking in in Starsan.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewtime

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 06:46:38 pm »
To clean the spigot I use a 1/2 silicone tubing connected to a faucet and run hot water through it. Have not had any issues with this method. BTW I own 2 of the 8gal and a 15 gal Speidel.