Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Malt  (Read 3307 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Coffee Malt
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:33 am »
I just picked up a couple pounds of Simpson's Coffee Malt from LHBS. They said it is like a light Chocolate Malt, but the Simpson's web site states it's a Brown Malt to use in Porters and Stouts. The L rating for color is 130-170 which is about half of the Carafa 1 at 335 L that I like in dark beers. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this malt? I'm not a big fan of Stouts but I do like Porters. If it can be used as a light Chocolate Malt, any suggestions as to styles of beer it can be used in?
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coffee Malt
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:31 am »
I won some at a comp years back.  A very little bit (1/4-1/2 lb. in 5 gal.) added a little complexity.  An attempt at using a couple lb. in a batch resulted in a weird toasted marshmallow like flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:18:58 am »
I won some at a comp years back.  A very little bit (1/4-1/2 lb. in 5 gal.) added a little complexity.  An attempt at using a couple lb. in a batch resulted in a weird toasted marshmallow like flavor.

agreed - i've not used it but one of my close friends in the homebrew club experimented with it in a series of stout brewings a couple of years ago, the ones with small amounts (2-4%) were pretty nice - the first one he used I think 7.5% and it was offensive.  And this is coming from a guy who drinks 2-4 cups of coffee a day.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:20:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies. So not really a light Chocolate Malt? I guess I can still use it in some Porters but keep the amount under 4%.
Denny, that is weird about the toasted marshmallow flavor. Maybe throw in some darker Chocolate Malt and graham crackers for a smores beer. mmm smores. ;)
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:21 pm »
In the nanomashing article in Zymurgy a year ago, she mashed some coffee malt (3%, 97% base malt) and said it tasted a bit like coffee, but kind of like cheap coffee. She also mashed chocolate malt and chocolate/coffee together and the combo tasted the most like chocolate.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958