Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drop hopping and fermentation temp  (Read 3234 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Drop hopping and fermentation temp
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:34 pm »
What's the concensus for dry hopping and raising fermentation temperature once fermentation is complete? I pitched at 64 10 days ago and my gravity  has stabilized for a few days now. I want to raise the temp to about 70 to hopefully drop a few more points but I also want to dry hop for a week before kegging. Should I raise the temp and dry hop at the same time, or dry hop for a week then raise the temp? Or, does the relationship between the two not matter?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Drop hopping and fermentation temp
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »
What's the concensus for dry hopping and raising fermentation temperature once fermentation is complete? I pitched at 64 10 days ago and my gravity  has stabilized for a few days now. I want to raise the temp to about 70 to hopefully drop a few more points but I also want to dry hop for a week before kegging. Should I raise the temp and dry hop at the same time, or dry hop for a week then raise the temp? Or, does the relationship between the two not matter?

I prefer to dry hop at ~70 for a week or so before dropping to storage temp. So I'd ramp up the temperature, add the hops and let it ride for a week.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:44:19 pm »
The warmer the beer, the faster the dry hop extraction. If you are not planning on re-using the yeast, then warm it up a little bit and throw the dry hops in.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:26 pm »
If you have the time, crash the yeast out then ramp the temp back up to dry hop. It'll help you keep the aroma/flavor you're looking for from the dry hop addition. Is your SG where you expected it to be or if not how far off?
Trey W.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:23 am »
Even a 10 degree temp drop for a few days will crash a lot of yeast. This will keep the yeast from dragging some of teh aroma compounds down with them when they do crash. So if you can, crash temp, then warm back up a little and dry hop. As long as you are in the 60-70 degree range you will be fine. Others report great success at cold temp dry hopping. You'll need to find out what works best for you but if you can wait 3-5 days extra to drop some yeast you will be better for it. I have even gone so far as to fine first, than dry hop.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32:19 am »
+1. I fined with gelatin first and then dry hopped on my last IPA. I think I'll start doing it this way from now on. After fining the beer was crystal clear even after using a lot of late hops, then I dry hopped @ 65F - the aroma was both excellent and definitely lasted longer than other methods. I'm sold on getting the beer clear, then dry hopping. 
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:01 am »
Not to hijack but this thread raises a question I had:

I have my common fermenting now with wlp810 at 57. I was going to raise to 63 as it slows to finish and then lager it for a few weeks.

I also dry hop this beer with 2.5 oz of northern brewer for 5 days before packaging.

This is the first time I am planning on lagering it since I can now and was wondering if I should raise the temp prior or just dry hop it at the lager temp?

fWIW I know I don't have to lager this yeast but wanted to give it a try and compare it with my previous batches that weren't.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 08:38:41 am »
Personally, I would lager it to get it nice and clear for however long you wanted, let it warm and then dry hop.
Jon H.

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:03 am »
Hey get off my post! Lol.

I'm in no rush, so I think cold crashing, then warming back up, then dry hopping is the way to go.  At that point I'll be around 20 days of fermentation. Given there's 10.5 oz of hops in the carboy, I think that's enough time to obtain good flavors and a nice clean IPA without any grassiness appearing. Appreciate the tips.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:30 am »

Personally, I would lager it to get it nice and clear for however long you wanted, let it warm and then dry hop.
thanks, that's kind of my thought but wanted to see if there were others experiences with this
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:31 am »

thanks, that's kind of my thought but wanted to see if there were others experiences with this

I agree.  I started noticing kind of unpleasant interactions between dry hops and the yeast in the beer, so I like to remove as much yeast as possible before dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell