Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bigfoot verticle  (Read 1986 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Bigfoot verticle
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:53:26 pm »
Well here goes.

I don't have my notes right now or time to transpose them but I'll post the pics so everyone can see.

There should be a picture here but it turns out my last bottle of 2010 evaporated at some point in the last year  :-[

2011 and 2012
There should be a picture here but it turns out after even just 1/3 of 6 bottles of bigfoot I get forgetful. I got notes on everything up to and including 2011 and we pooped out after 2012 so I'm going to continue 2012-2014 on another night.

Overall impression:
They were all good. the 2005 was the best of the pre-2008 vintages with the most malt complexity. The 2008 was amazing with a strong herbal hop character that was almost totally absent from the rest. This was also the year they went to pry off o2 barrier caps and you can really see the difference just in head retention and the hop character retention difference between the 2007 and the 2008 was marked. the 2009 was much less spectacular than the 2008 but still good. the hop character slowly faded back in from there until the 2012 had just barely started to lose it's edge.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bigfoot verticle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:00:10 pm »
Not a task for the weak. Hope you had fun doing it. I need to buy the 2014.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »
Nice job.  Rough work indeed.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:39 pm »

I had a blast. we started around 15:00 and finished up sometime after 22:00. we had a dinner break and I put my son to bed around 19:00 but other than that it was all bigfoot all the time.

Thank you again Jeff getting that contrast between the earlier years and the 25th expedition (2008) was astonishing. that 2008 is amazing. I think it was my favorite of the lot.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »

I had a blast. we started around 15:00 and finished up sometime after 22:00. we had a dinner break and I put my son to bed around 19:00 but other than that it was all bigfoot all the time.

Thank you again Jeff getting that contrast between the earlier years and the 25th expedition (2008) was astonishing. that 2008 is amazing. I think it was my favorite of the lot.

You are welcome, Jonathan. This made me wonder if my local package shop had it, and they did, so I might have to do a vertical tasting one of these days.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »
Mort,
How do you store the beers you are saving?  I think cool and dark but do you store them upside down? on there side?  Any advice woul dbe great:)

Cheers!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:45:58 pm »
Mort,
How do you store the beers you are saving?  I think cool and dark but do you store them upside down? on there side?  Any advice woul dbe great:)

Cheers!

I have a less than ideal cellaring situation. I try to keep the temp as constant and as close to 50f as possible store them upright. For me this means storing as many as will fit in my serving fridge, some in my fermenting fridge and the rest in a closet that is as close to the center of my house as I can manage in order to avoid big temp swings throughout the day.

The storing on the side or upside down thing works for wine because it helps keep the corks moist so they don't shrink but even corked beer bottles don't want/need to be stored on their sides because the cork is held so much larger than the opening it's not going to get lose even if it dries out a bit and contact between beer and cork can cause corked beer. even wine can get corked but it's a balance of risk thing. At least that's how I understand it.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:53:27 pm »
Mort,

Cheers!

I have a less than ideal cellaring situation. I try to keep the temp as constant and as close to 50f as possible store them upright. For me this means storing as many as will fit in my serving fridge, some in my fermenting fridge and the rest in a closet that is as close to the center of my house as I can manage in order to avoid big temp swings throughout the day.

The storing on the side or upside down thing works for wine because it helps keep the corks moist so they don't shrink but even corked beer bottles don't want/need to be stored on their sides because the cork is held so much larger than the opening it's not going to get lose even if it dries out a bit and contact between beer and cork can cause corked beer. even wine can get corked but it's a balance of risk thing. At least that's how I understand it.

Cool thanks, The reason i was thinking upside down is because i know you said you lost a beer to evaporation, so i assumed a beer barrier between the crown and the environment would help!
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:16:48 pm »
Mort,

Cheers!

Cool thanks, The reason i was thinking upside down is because i know you said you lost a beer to evaporation, so i assumed a beer barrier between the crown and the environment would help!

He may have had a different type of evaporation going on!   ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:15:54 pm »

LOL!! Now i feel like a moron;) Thanks Jeff!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:44 pm »
Mort,

Cheers!

Bingo.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce