Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oyster Stout?  (Read 4903 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oyster Stout?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 09:22:21 am »
Will oils from hot peppers kill the Yeast?

I can't think of any reason they would.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:26 am »
I tend be really careful with Oyster Stout, but only because I'm a vegetarian and don't eat (or drink) fish.

I do know of one commercial Oyster Stout, made by Marston's in the UK that does not contain oysters, but was designed to be drunk with oysters.  I come from London, and I grew up learning that a) you don't eat oysters unless they are still alive; b) you should always consume them with something fairly alcoholic to kill the nasties, and that c) the alcohol of choice is champagne if you're rich, and stout if you aren't.  There are still some oyster places by the river in London where you can get oysters and stout, and I remember trips to the sea as a child where the adults slurped things from shells with potent black brews in hand.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 09:51:31 am »
Okay I made this Stout in a 5 gallon batch. On brew day I could not find Oysters here in Michigan. In my anger and frustration i tossed in the biol 3 Bhut peppers. Also know as Goast peppers the hottest peppers in the world.  The SG stayed the same after 8 days in the primary. Will oils from hot peppers kill the Yeast? Should I dumb this batch or is there a save?
What was your SG?  What type of yeast did you use?  How old was it and did you make a starter?  What temperature has the beer been sitting at?  Is the temp fairly consistent or is it subject to large temp swings.....  There's a lot of information we need to make a call.

Here's my attempt though.....At this point, I would go get a new packet of dry yeast hydrate it and add that to your fermenter.  You've invested this much time, might as well see what happens.   8)

Offline eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 01:49:29 pm »
Had some friends over yesterday, that have been Home brewing awhile, to help brew aan IPA.  They determined that my Stout was mashed way to hot and I got very little sugar from the mash. However, they said the body was good and the hint of spice was differn't in a good way. They suggested make a new batch of Stout then mix the 2 in secondary. I will let you know