Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does a BoPils have to include Saaz hops?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Does a BoPils have to include Saaz hops?
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:24:16 am »
I made a BoPils with Hersbrucker instead of Saaz for flavor. This beer is tasting very nice right now out of the keg. I was thinking of entering it into a competiton as a BoPils and was wondering if it would get dinged badly for not having Saaz flavor and aroma?
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Does a BoPils have to include Saaz hops?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:38:35 am »
If it tastes like a BoPils, that's what you should enter it as.  The judges won't know what's in it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:42:42 am »
If the judges are good enough to tell that it's the wrong hop, you'll probably get dinged. But badly? Probably only a few points. Style problems tend to be less harshly deducted than technical problems. And if it has no technical problems and everything else is to style, it may still be the best pilsner on the table. In other words, you may loose points, but it's not going to automatically disqualify you from winning.

It's also quite possible they won't notice the wrong hop.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 09:46:57 am »
My problem is that I haven't had too many examples of the stlye to really know if mine is a good example. I think I should maybe do a little research and buy some commercial samples. Any suggestions for some that I should try? I've already tried Pilsner Urquell and Czech Rebel.
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:56:51 am »
Look for Czhechvar, sometimes called Budvar.  It's the original.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell