Author Topic: Temperature variation - OK?  (Read 366 times)

Offline howlinghound

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Temperature variation - OK?
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:23:08 AM »
I recently brewed up a batch of Golden Strong - Much more yeast (and sugars) than I have done in the past.  While I don't yet have a good process for temperature and control, this batch (5.5 gal) fermented in glass at around 62-66 degrees for a week.  Strong fermentation for about half of that and then very quiet by the end of that week.  Knowing that it needed to get hotter, I added heating for a handful of days and brought the batch slowly to about 76-78.  Strong fermentation began again and continued for a couple of days.  But, I don't have a way to really get this to 80 degrees and hold it; one day I was away and no heat was applied and the temp dropped -- It has been sitting at around 64 for the past week.  (My heating pad set-up shuts off automatically).  I have not yet tested gravity - but assuming that it is still higher than expected FG, any harm in working hard to bring the temp back up for another round??

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature variation - OK?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »
Take a gravity reading and see if you have a problem before trying to fix it. If it was high 70's for a few days, might be done.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
Take a gravity reading and see if you have a problem before trying to fix it. If it was high 70's for a few days, might be done.

What he said.  It isn't necessary for big Belgians to hit 80F.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Roger Masson

Improved batch sparge and parti-gyle calculator (v.1.6)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »

What he said.  It isn't necessary for big Belgians to hit 80F.

+2 - I've fermented quads in the low 60s without touching the temp and they've turned out great. With a big healthy pitch of yeast most Belgian strains will gobble up everything you feed them without needing much help.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer