Author Topic: Coffee Malt  (Read 384 times)

Offline scrap iron

• 1st Kit
  • K C
    • View Profile
Coffee Malt
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
I just picked up a couple pounds of Simpson's Coffee Malt from LHBS. They said it is like a light Chocolate Malt, but the Simpson's web site states it's a Brown Malt to use in Porters and Stouts. The L rating for color is 130-170 which is about half of the Carafa 1 at 335 L that I like in dark beers. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this malt? I'm not a big fan of Stouts but I do like Porters. If it can be used as a light Chocolate Malt, any suggestions as to styles of beer it can be used in?
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coffee Malt
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
I won some at a comp years back.  A very little bit (1/4-1/2 lb. in 5 gal.) added a little complexity.  An attempt at using a couple lb. in a batch resulted in a weird toasted marshmallow like flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »
I won some at a comp years back.  A very little bit (1/4-1/2 lb. in 5 gal.) added a little complexity.  An attempt at using a couple lb. in a batch resulted in a weird toasted marshmallow like flavor.

agreed - i've not used it but one of my close friends in the homebrew club experimented with it in a series of stout brewings a couple of years ago, the ones with small amounts (2-4%) were pretty nice - the first one he used I think 7.5% and it was offensive.  And this is coming from a guy who drinks 2-4 cups of coffee a day.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline scrap iron

• 1st Kit
  • K C
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies. So not really a light Chocolate Malt? I guess I can still use it in some Porters but keep the amount under 4%.
Denny, that is weird about the toasted marshmallow flavor. Maybe throw in some darker Chocolate Malt and graham crackers for a smores beer. mmm smores. ;)
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
In the nanomashing article in Zymurgy a year ago, she mashed some coffee malt (3%, 97% base malt) and said it tasted a bit like coffee, but kind of like cheap coffee. She also mashed chocolate malt and chocolate/coffee together and the combo tasted the most like chocolate.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958