Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small batch equipment questions  (Read 2974 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Small batch equipment questions
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 06:41:06 am »
I typically do my 2-3 gallon batches in a 7.9 gallon bucket because it's what I have on hand. I have a small collection of 5 liter wine jugs that I use for 1 gallon batches.

I find those 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs at many regular grocery stores although sometimes you have to look in the organic or health food sections to find them. They are usually Martinelli apple juice.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

S. cerevisiae

Re: Small batch equipment questions
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 08:39:04 am »
I am an old school brewer; therefore, I followed the traditional path to all-grain brewing, which was  kit -> extract-based recipes with specialty grains -> 50% from extract/50% from grain partial mash-based recipes -> all-grain recipes.  I spent seven of the eight months that I was not an all-grain brewer as a 50/50 partial mash brewer.   Fifty/fifty partial mash brewing is still a viable technique for the space and resource constrained brewer who wants to make better tasting beer.  I made very good beer using this technique back when extract was nowhere near as fresh as it is today, especially in home brew stores that have high stock turnover rates.