Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru Gear - New Kettle/ Conical Manufacturer  (Read 10768 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Bru Gear - New Kettle/ Conical Manufacturer
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:37:53 pm »
Prompt response! No induction elements currently available but are in the skunkworks. Looks/sounds promising.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 07:06:06 am »
Goal has been exceeded.  I spoke with Phil a few days ago and he said that his prices will be higher then the kickstarter prices, so if you are interested better get in on it now while its a deal:)

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
Just curious if anyone knows, are the capacities (5 gallon boil kettle for example) the full capacity, or the recommended batch size?  I know I would not want to brew a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:06 am »
Just curious if anyone knows, are the capacities (5 gallon boil kettle for example) the full capacity, or the recommended batch size?  I know I would not want to brew a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot.

Not sure what their full capacity is, but I think 5 gallon kettles are ideal for extract batches and maybe 2.5 gallon batches.  I do a lot of 3 gallon batches and those usually call for about 4.25 - 4.5 gallons of wort and I wouldn't be comfortable doing these in a 5 gallon kettle.  Not saying it's not possible, but you would have to be real careful with boil overs.  The price for the 10 gallon kettle is just $40 bucks more and a great deal at $150.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 08:30:00 am »
After tossing the idea around, I finally pulled the trigger on the 10 gallon kettle. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 08:59:34 am »
I wonder how long it's going to take just to fill the kickstarter orders. The kickstarter page says June of this year but that seems quick to turn around that much work, especially if they need the kickstarter funds to buy the base materials.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:16 am »
I wonder how long it's going to take just to fill the kickstarter orders. The kickstarter page says June of this year but that seems quick to turn around that much work, especially if they need the kickstarter funds to buy the base materials.

I think the kettles will come from China, or someplace similar, and he will add the fittings. Maybe the conicals as well.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 10:50:10 am »

Not sure what their full capacity is, but I think 5 gallon kettles are ideal for extract batches and maybe 2.5 gallon batches.  I do a lot of 3 gallon batches and those usually call for about 4.25 - 4.5 gallons of wort and I wouldn't be comfortable doing these in a 5 gallon kettle.  Not saying it's not possible, but you would have to be real careful with boil overs.  The price for the 10 gallon kettle is just $40 bucks more and a great deal at $150.

Right.  If the 5 gallon size pot is an actual 5 gallon capacity, it would be recommended to step up to 10 gallon for a 5 gallon batch.  Or up to 15 for a 10 gallon batch.  But I was not able to find if the "sizes" were actual capacity or batch sizes.  I would assume probably actual capacity.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 10:51:30 am »

I think the kettles will come from China, or someplace similar, and he will add the fittings. Maybe the conicals as well.

Somewhere in the kickstarter, it said that they would use the funds to buy a roll of raw materials.  I was assuming that meant a roll of stainless sheet metal, which they would use to build the kettles and fermenters out of.  Not positive though.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »
Somewhere in the kickstarter, it said that they would use the funds to buy a roll of raw materials.  I was assuming that meant a roll of stainless sheet metal, which they would use to build the kettles and fermenters out of.  Not positive though.

Would be nice if it was more clear on the site. Personally I don't mind items coming from China, though I do buy American where I can.

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »
I went for a 20gal kettle w/Tri-Clover fittings... It will be interesting to compare against my Blichmann 20 gal. kettles.  I wish Blichmann would have a Tri-clover fitting version of their kettles.
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »
Man I want it. Also can afford a new 20gal with all the bells and whistles. But don't need a new kettle or brewery. >:(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 08:28:46 pm »

I settled on 3.5 primary gallons/3 gallons kegged when I rejoined the amateur brewing ranks after an 11-year hiatus from the hobby.  I brewed 5.5 primary gallons/5 gallons kegged for a decade before taking my hiatus, but 5-gallons is just too much beer (I like to be able to brew every three to four weeks).  The problem with 3.5-gallon primary/3-gallons kegged batches of is that no one manufactures a kettle with the correct geometry. Most 10-gallon kettles are too wide for 3-gallon batches.   The shallow liquid column makes immersion chilling inefficient at best. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:11:12 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:34 pm »
Man that 14 gallon conical is tempting. I wonder how much prices will go up after the drive ends.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:35 am »
Man that 14 gallon conical is tempting. I wonder how much prices will go up after the drive ends.

IT includes shipping, so my guess would be about 600 bucks after shipping.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!