Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New FDA Rules For Breweries Selling Spent Grains For Animal Feed.  (Read 12550 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: New FDA Rules For Breweries Selling Spent Grains For Animal Feed.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:41 pm »
It is possible this is the first step a new wave of action by the macro-brewing industry to make life difficult for small brewers.  Lord knows Big-Ag has been using the regulatory agencies for decades to shutdown family farms.

It may just be the FDA doing their job but it seems close to not passing the sniff test to me.  I apologize if my paranoia is showing.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:32:19 pm »
Your paranoia is showing. FDA has been on a huge crusade to regulate every aspect of food production that impacts food safety in response to foodborne illness problems of recent years.

Don't worry, doesn't mean their not all after you. :)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »
Does that mean they are going to start looking into the practice of feeding chickens to chickens and pigs to pigs and cement to steer at feedlots?

I'm all for food safety but there are so many places where our mass food production system is in need of attention before we should start worrying about whether the spent grain we send to the hog or chicken farm has too much bacteria in it.

I was reading about cheese making today and the author was talking about an effort by the FDA to ban all raw milk cheeses in the US. In response to these concerns the CDC did a study of all cheese related illnesses in the US between 1993 and 2005 and found ~70 cases in that time. Turns out nearly 50 of them were all tied to a single Queso Fresco factory in CA which was using Pasteurized milk anyway.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:21 pm »
Yeah that raw milk thing is wack man...

Well spent grain makes great compost so that is one way of disposal. Or it can be dried and fed into the furnace firing the steam kettles for a brewery.

I've seen the neighborhood cats horking down my spent grain after dumping it on the compost-pile. They are still around. Mostly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:56:01 pm »
Does that mean they are going to start looking into the practice of feeding chickens to chickens and pigs to pigs and cement to steer at feedlots?

I'm all for food safety but there are so many places where our mass food production system is in need of attention before we should start worrying about whether the spent grain we send to the hog or chicken farm has too much bacteria in it.

I agree. I would think they'd address that issue before worrying about spent grain.
Jon H.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »
I'm not sure how many small breweries are selling their spent grain.  Everyone I know off gives it away for free (or gets occasional trades) or have to pay someone to take it. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »
I'm not sure how many small breweries are selling their spent grain.  Everyone I know off gives it away for free (or gets occasional trades) or have to pay someone to take it. 

Yeah, it's always been my understanding from brewers I've talked to that they give it away to farmers so that they won't have to pay to have it disposed of - a significant chunk o' change for small breweries.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:55:21 pm »
I've seen the neighborhood cats horking down my spent grain after dumping it on the compost-pile. They are still around. Mostly.

Please be careful if you mash hop. I have read that hops are as bad for cats as they are for dogs. If it is anything like chocolate, could be worse.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 04:00:46 pm »

Please be careful if you mash hop. I have read that hops are as bad for cats as they are for dogs. If it is anything like chocolate, could be worse.

Hmm, I might have to pull some old hops out of the freezer for my cat

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:07:39 pm »

Hmm, I might have to pull some old hops out of the freezer for my cat

Or pull some old cats out of the freezer for your hops...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:42 pm »
I don't mash hop and hardly think it is a common practice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:32 pm »
Cats love hops except for Citra. They just spray on Citra.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »
Yeah, knew this was coming. Very unfortunate. Totally the FDA searching for a problem that doesn't exist. That said ... I have seen my dog get deathly ill from eating several day old spent grain. But I hardly see where this could affect the human food chain.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 05:32:33 pm »
Yeah, trying to picture that too. I'm no expert.
Jon H.