Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop question  (Read 1971 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Hop question
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »
Calling all you hop heads. I am making a pale ale tomorrow.

8.5 pounds Rahr 2 Row
3 pounds Crystal 40

I have a crap load of Willamette and Cascade hops.  I originally was going to do
1 oz Horizon 60 min
.5 cascade at 20
1 oz cascade at flameout

Have you guys ever used Willamette and Cascade together. So if I just ditched the horizon all together
I also have on hand
.2 Centennial
.6 Columbus
.3 Simcoe
2 oz Goldings (leaf)

Thoughts anyone

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Hop question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »
My bad.
2oz Chinook. Not Goldings

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:46:19 pm »
First -  Is the 8.5 lbs 2-row all you have on hand ?  3 lbs crystal is insanely high for a pale ale. I like at most 90% 2-row , 10% Crystal for an APA.
Jon H.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:55 pm »
Yeah that's all the grain I have on hand

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 07:11:57 pm »
Thanks for the info. Keep that thought on my mind. Stopped by the LHBS after work and got the grains. Milled them all together. Guess I will just have to see how this one turns out. The joys of home brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:01:55 pm »
A) As long as you like Willamette, you should be fine adding it to your Pale Ale recipe

B) I'd mash really low as an insurance policy with that much Crystal malt.

C) How much is a "crap load" of Cascade and Willamette? If it were me, I'd leave the hop schedule as-is, but add an ounce of Willamette to the Cascade at flameout. Then dry hop with an ounce each of Cascade and Willamette.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:24:55 pm »
A) As long as you like Willamette, you should be fine adding it to your Pale Ale recipe

C) How much is a "crap load" of Cascade and Willamette? If it were me, I'd leave the hop schedule as-is, but add an ounce of Willamette to the Cascade at flameout. Then dry hop with an ounce each of Cascade and Willamette.

I have two pounds of each. What would you suggest as a low mash temp. Somewhere around 148?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »

I have two pounds of each. What would you suggest as a low mash temp. Somewhere around 148?

Yeah, with that much crystal, I'd mash @ 148F for 90 minutes. It'll help make your wort more fermentable.
Jon H.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:10:40 pm »
Well with much thought I think I will be better picking up 8 more pounds of two row in the morning. I just don't wanna botch a batch for no reason. Gonna mix the additional grist to the 11.5 pounds I already have. Should balance everything out. Guess I should read up more on my ingredients

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:42:19 pm »
Depending on your efficiency you can have a nIce low gravity pale ale with that much malt, but please don't put 3 lbs of crystal malt in. Try to keep the crystal malt under 10 percent.