Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New FDA Rules For Breweries Selling Spent Grains For Animal Feed.  (Read 12573 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New FDA Rules For Breweries Selling Spent Grains For Animal Feed.
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2014, 10:39:42 am »
This topic is going to be a sticky? :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 01:25:31 pm »
Yeah I just said all that crazy stuff but  :D
I lol'ed at that. ;D

So, to be clear, if you give away your spent grain, are you still under these new rules?

These kinds of regulations are usually about the production of a product and not the distribution of the product.  The fact a brewery produces a product that is fed to livestock is what is being regulated, not the fact they sell it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 07:54:24 pm »
In a similar scenario, I can't imagine someone racking the beer onto caustic, packaging it, and shipping it to be consumed. But that is a far greater possibility than caustic getting into the grain.

This is the exact reason that all breweries are already regulated by the FDA.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2014, 05:59:50 am »
In a similar scenario, I can't imagine someone racking the beer onto caustic, packaging it, and shipping it to be consumed. But that is a far greater possibility than caustic getting into the grain.

You think we would be but we are not. We are required to register with FDA but I've not had an FDA inspection once. Been unfortunate enough to be subjected to not one but two grueling TTB inspections, been through several health department inspections, fire marshal has popped in once, but this far no dealings with FDA.

I suspect that's about to change.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 08:56:45 am »

You think we would be but we are not. We are required to register with FDA but I've not had an FDA inspection once. Been unfortunate enough to be subjected to not one but two grueling TTB inspections, been through several health department inspections, fire marshal has popped in once, but this far no dealings with FDA.

That is in part because the TTB already allocates resources and processes to inspect and review your products before they go out for sale.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 09:35:21 am »

That is in part because the TTB already allocates resources and processes to inspect and review your products before they go out for sale.

Again, not really 100% true. The only recipes that require approval are those with special ingredients or those that could increase abv. (like fruit/spices) or bbl aging in bbls that previously held liquor. As long as you're going with malt/adjucts/hops/water/yeast - no recipe approval necessary.

Now, the do want a layout of your brewery and you are supposed to provide one every time you upgrade. But aside from that all they care about is if you are paying your taxes or not.

Oh, yeah, and they want to approve names and they go a little over board with their power there. They also want to make sure you have the SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING in correct font (with SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING" bold  ::) and they want to make sure you have "ALE" or "BEER" somewhere on the label for some inane reason.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:38:17 am by majorvices »

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 11:19:34 am »
I guess we can argue semantics until we're both blue, but what I mean is, you're expected to register with the FDA for a reason... ultimately I guess I assumed we were registering so that eventually we would have another government master to make happy.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:07 am »
I guess we can argue semantics until we're both blue, but what I mean is, you're expected to register with the FDA for a reason... ultimately I guess I assumed we were registering so that eventually we would have another government master to make happy.

Not trying to argue petty semantics. Just trying to explain what actual regulations. Apologies if it seemed that way.

I have had 0 dealings with FDA up till now. Has nothing to do with semantics. Wasn't even required to register until last year that I know of.

As I said, looks like

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:24 am »

Not trying to argue petty semantics. Just trying to explain what actual regulations. Apologies if it seemed that way.

I have had 0 dealings with FDA up till now. Has nothing to do with semantics. Wasn't even required to register until last year that I know of.

As I said, looks like that's going to change.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »

As I said, looks like
Registering brewery with FDA is due bioterrorism act that was passed to law after 9/11.
It has Nothing to do about product safety.

In my state product safety is regulated with agg dept because I am a food processor.
I am supposed to have recall process and all kind of fun stuff.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 06:50:24 pm »
I am talking about Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) requirements and specifically an event on the Reportable Food Registry (RFR).

I was replying to the scenario where a beer was racked on to caustic, packaged, and distributed. If this happened and touched more than one US state, the amount of regulatory authority the FDA has over breweries would become very obvious very quickly.

When I was at CBC this past year, one of the talks was FDA involvement/regulation of breweries, I will try and pull up the presentation and put it somewhere online.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:13 pm »
Here is the PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuctqjo6jmka3ib/preparing-for-an-fda-audit.pdf

There were also some folks there discussing what had happened to them when the FDA decided to pay them a visit, truly some comical stuff... "Why isn't your grain refrigerated!?"

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 08:48:23 am »
Again, not really 100% true. The only recipes that require approval are those with special ingredients or those that could increase abv. (like fruit/spices) or bbl aging in bbls that previously held liquor. As long as you're going with malt/adjucts/hops/water/yeast - no recipe approval necessary.

Which is why I said "in part". The TTB regs enumerate ingredients that do not require recipe approval. Everything else does, if the beer will be shipped out of state. By the time you add TTB, state ABC, state public safety regs and state/local health regs together, there is not much left for the FDA that isn't already regulated through one of those other channels regarding your manufacturing. Their resources are better used on industries that do not have as much oversight duplicating their own. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:25 am »
There is still time to comment on the FDA site about the rules.
http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/fda-rules-and-brewery-spent-grain/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:48 am »
Judging by the comments I've seen around the intertubes about this issue, I almost feel bad for the FDA folks who are going to have to sift through comments from beer drinkers about how this is going to ruin beer for everybody.