Author Topic: First Trappist Brewery in the U.S.A.  (Read 2264 times)

Offline pete b

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
Re: First Trappist Brewery in the U.S.A.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
They do follow the Rule of St Benedict, in fact they are known for their strictness. I didn't know that it was that specific, I just thought there was a general statement to the effect that they should support themselves through the work of their own hands.
Renunciation is not giving up the things of the world, but accepting that they go away.
Suzuki Roshi

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
They do follow the Rule of St Benedict, in fact they are known for their strictness. I didn't know that it was that specific, I just thought there was a general statement to the effect that they should support themselves through the work of their own hands.

Even if I am correct which is by no means certain as my knowledge is based mostly on reading and rereading my wife's thesis I would imagine that part of that price is on the part of the distributer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
I also think the distributors have a lot to do with the price point. It's too bad. I don't drink the trappist styles like I used to but the prices don't help. I like the humanitarian efforts supported in part by the beer sales but there are so many beers I would rather drink at that price point.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm