Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next recipe  (Read 3759 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Next recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:23 am »
+1.  I use ~ a lb in an AIPA pretty regularly.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:14 am »
Looks good! I agree with Denny and John with more of a punching bittering hop like chinook or Columbus. But in my opinion, first wort hops don't pack the backbone that I like to bitter an IPA. That being said, i love the flavor that they add. I use them in conjunction with a 60 minute hop. But it's all what you want in an IPA. I use a lot of hops.... 10-12 oz in the kettle usually. Most might say that's overkill.

That's why I use FWH for flavor and consider any bittering I get from them to be secondary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 05:35:26 pm »

Yes... In addition to the 10 in the kettle, there are 6ish used as dry hops.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »

Yeah a brewer buddy thought it was over the top until he tried one of my last ones. He uses less in his IPAs normally, so I guess he was expecting hop extract beer or something. He loved it.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »
Yeah a brewer buddy thought it was over the top until he tried one of my last ones. He uses less in his IPAs normally, so I guess he was expecting hop extract beer or something. He loved it.

+1

Happens all the time.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 11:09:17 am »

That's pretty much my recipe for 3 gallons of IPA right now. 10ish ounces at flameout/hopstand and 6oz of dry hops. Well, 3 gallons at the end of the boil :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »
I brewed this on Sunday, great brew day. Missed OG of 1.064 and hit 1.058, but on only my second AG batch, I'll take it. The big issue I had was forgetting my hot scotchy. I was really looking forward to this, but it was not in my notes or on beersmith, so it was forgotten. I guess I'll just haev to keep brewing until I remember this most important step, ;)
The starter worked well, and had blowoff tube action(no blowoff, just CO2) by the time I woke up on Monday after pitching Sunday night close to 7 pm. The blowoff tube was pretty quiet by the time I woke up Tuesday though, so I hope there is not an issue, but RDWHAHB, right? We will see in a couple weeks.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)