Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chilling plastic conical fermenter  (Read 11083 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Chilling plastic conical fermenter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:34 pm »
If I wrapped glycol coils around my fermentor I would insulate over that with a couple wraps of foam (similar to a yoga mat, or maybe that aluminum bubble wrap stuff)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 05:10:24 am »
If I wrapped glycol coils around my fermentor I would insulate over that with a couple wraps of foam (similar to a yoga mat, or maybe that aluminum bubble wrap stuff)

Use the reflective insulation they use on hot water heaters, I've wrapped everything from fermentors to mash tuns with the stuff. Works great.

Still not convinced the coils will conduct well through plastic tanks though.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 05:15:10 am »
I'd think the plastic wall might buffer it a little. Copper coil in the beer seems like would cause temp gradient. Like too cold at the copper and too warm elsewhere. But I haven't gotten my PhD in thermodynamics just yet.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 05:56:37 am »
You don't want copper in the fermented beer (pre fermentation is fine) because the low pH will strip some of the copper into the beer, which you don't want. The coils in the beer would have to be stainless. Copper is a better conductor than stainless so wrapping would be better with copper.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 06:05:40 am »
Oh duh, right. Either way, I think freezer with dual control is more reasonable. Or just go with jacketed FV and glycol.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 06:53:27 am »
Oh duh, right. Either way, I think freezer with dual control is more reasonable. Or just go with jacketed FV and glycol.

I have yet to stumble accross a jacketed conical in a homebrew size.  If you find one post it:)  Otherwise id just put the conical in a giant tub. Ghetto jacket:D

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 07:04:35 am »
A 7 gallon jacketed FV would probably take a 1/100 hp glycol system. I'll bet you could get one custom made for under ten grand

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 07:13:28 am »
A 7 gallon jacketed FV would probably take a 1/100 hp glycol system. I'll bet you could get one custom made for under ten grand

This was pretty much my thought as well!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:37 am »

This was pretty much my thought as well!

Now just think about what you wrote. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 09:56:18 am »
I guess I have been kind of skirting this issue, but the fermenter I have is a little larger than normal, and won't fit in a fridge or upright freezer. This is why I have been trying to macgyver/rube goldberg a solution.

How big is this thing?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:31 am »
I guess I have been kind of skirting this issue, but the fermenter I have is a little larger than normal, and won't fit in a fridge or upright freezer. This is why I have been trying to macgyver/rube goldberg a solution.

How big is this thing?

60 gallons

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5815/60-gallon-cone-inductor-tank-fully-draining-infd60-24

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 09:01:22 am »

How big is this thing?

60 gallons

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5815/60-gallon-cone-inductor-tank-fully-draining-infd60-24

I have the 15 gallon version of that. I bought the conical to fit the fridge.

But it seriously cannot fit in something like this? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire-20-6-cu-ft-upright-freezer-white/8822544.p?id=1207352154370&skuId=8822544

Your tank is only 2'-0" in diameter and 4'-0" tall. Surely if can fit in an upright freezer.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27:40 am »
You'd think it would fit, but the upright freezers just aren't deep enough.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:08 pm »
Has anyone seen this solution before?

http://byo.com/brown-ale/item/1877-build-your-own-glycol-fermenter

The short story is that you take apart an air conditioner and put the evaporator coils directly into the reservoir. It sounds a little crazy to me, and I don't think I am confident enough in my electrical skills, but if anyone else has done this, I would love to see any details, pictures, tips, etc. you have to pull it off.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »
I've done that, it really wasn't too difficult to do. I took pictures years back when I did it but I'm not sure where they are.  Since I used a digital a/c unit I figured out what resistance the temp probe returned at a high and low temp and matched resistors to those and use a relay to switch between the resistors.  So when I want the ac running I make it think the temp is 85 and when I want it off it thinks it is 65.

I have mine hooked to a manifold I built with PVC and solenoids for each of my brewhemoth fermenters.