Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 Gallon extract recipe needed  (Read 10366 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 1 Gallon extract recipe needed
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 09:00:35 am »
Johnathan,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the IBU's predicted by BeerSmith something to take with a grain of salt? I can't imagine drinking a "Pale Ale" with ~125 IBUs. That sounds disgusting for me, and I like DIPA's.

For extract some say Rager is more accurate, Tinseth is the BS default and is accurate for all grain full boils (on my system). I don't know know how to change the algorithm used, others will have to say how.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 1 Gallon extract recipe needed
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »
Johnathan,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the IBU's predicted by BeerSmith something to take with a grain of salt? I can't imagine drinking a "Pale Ale" with ~125 IBUs. That sounds disgusting for me, and I like DIPA's.

The ceiling for what your palate can pick up is generally quoted at 60-70 IBU's. And the ceiling for IBU's in a finished beer is somewhere in the 100 IBU ballpark. The equations used to determine IBU's are merely tools for estimates. At best they will get you in a ballpark, and then you can tailor the recipe once you have "calibrated" it to your software, system and palate.

For example, I brewed an IPA this summer that my software calculated to be almost 400 IBU's. I sent it out for lab analysis and it came back at 98 IBU's. Flavorwise, it tasted like 60 IBU's, but with a rather smooth bitterness. Just because your software estimates 125 IBU's, that doesn't guarantee that it will be a gross beer. It will probably be an IPA rather than a Pale Ale, though.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer