Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cali common yeast for a Scottish shilling?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Cali common yeast for a Scottish shilling?
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:42:06 am »
I love Scottish shilling ales.  I have my recipe down to my idea of perfection using wyeast 1728.  Fermented nice and cool @ 55F-57F.  I am just about out of my last batch and really want to get one going.  Sadly, I have not yet added 1728 to my ranch.

I do however have some WLP 810.  Anyone ever use this for a Scottish ale?  I have only ever used it to make a Cal Common, so I don't really have a feel for how it handles a maltier brew.

I am getting some 1728, so it is not that I can't wait for that.  It just occurred to me to that it might be something to try.  However, I hate to mess with "perfection"   ::)

Anyone have any insight on WLP810 and either Scottish ales or some other malty type ale or lager?  Is it pretty clean?  I kind of suspect it has some assertive characteristics from the cal commons I brew but I can't really separate them in my mind from the hops.  I use magnum bittering and Perle for the rest of the additions in my version.
Dave Brush

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Re: Cali common yeast for a Scottish shilling?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »
I'm guilty! I'd have to check my notes, but I once used the WY2112 on a split-batch of Heavy70/-. I do remember that it turned out better than the same beer on the WY1728, but I suspect there may have been evil forces at work in the latter.  :-\
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:03:23 pm »
Seems like a fine fit to me, especially if you can manage to ferment a bit  on the cooler side  as an authentic Scottish ale would be anyway (but not at lager temps). 

Either way, It's worth a shot.

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:33:13 am »
Alrighty.

I guess I will give it a go.  Maybe I will do a split 10 gallon batch as beertracker did when I get some 1728.  Hopefully I can keep the evil forces at bay!   :D

Til' then I may just try a fiver.
Dave Brush