Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wet hop recipe  (Read 2322 times)

Offline cnowak2000

• 1st Kit
Wet hop recipe
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:18:18 pm »
Hello all,
I'm new here. I grew some centennial and chinook hops this year and will be picking soon.  Does anyone have a good wet hop recipe.
Thanks

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Wet hop recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:16 am »
Fire at will!
Frank

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »
I have a batch in the fermenter so don't know yet if it good. My method was to make a pale ale with a simple grain bill hang keep hop additions such that the fresh hops would be the most noticeable. I used freshly dried galena for 60 minutes, fresh but dried cascade for 10 minutes then 1/2 pound of freshly picked cascade at flame out. Its still actively fermenting but expect to sample in a couple days and I'll report back.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »
P.S. I do not usually talk like a caveman. I am typing on a phone with very large hands and drinking Laphroig.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:11 am »
I tasted a hydrometer sample last night. Its probably ready for bottling, I'm planning on bottling tomorrow if the gravity is the same. The fresh hops flavor is intense, much more so than when I tasted the wort. Its the type of flavor that gives one pause but that I think I will like. The citrus flavor I usually get with dried cascade is grapefruit with maybe a hint of lemon. This tastes very strongly of orange, and the aroma is less floral and more citrus which surprised me. It really comes close to tasting like orange juice and that flavor is strong enough that I'm not getting the grassy or herbal taste others have reported.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:17 am »
I am going to brew one of these tomorrow, and my recipe is similar to Pete's.  Thinking an OG around 1.055, 90% two row, 5% aromatic or munich, 5% medium Crystal.  I will use Northern Brewer for bittering, then the fresh Cascades like Pete did.....some ones I picked Monday that have dried for a couple of days at the 10-15 minute mark, then straight off the vine at knockout and maybe some more as it chills. 

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 08:33:55 am »
I brewed this yesterday:

2014 Fresh hop ale

OG 1.064, 10 gallons, split between two carboys, each got one packet of US-05 and a half tube of White Labs San Diego Super yeast

16.5 lbs. Gambrinus pale 2-row (last of a sack)
6 lbs. Weyermann Munich
1.5 lbs. Crystal 10°
0.75 lbs. Crystal 90°

Mash at 153°F for 90 min

6 oz. Cascades FWH (picked 4 days ago)
2 oz. Centennial 60 min (the only non-fresh hop)
4 oz. Cascades 8 min (picked 4 days ago)
5 oz. Cascades 10 min after knockout (picked 30 min left in the boil)

Offline cnowak2000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:09:16 pm »
Thanks Pete and Chumley...
I'm thinking of doing a simple pale with dried chinook for bitter and then fresh centennial at the end and after flame out.   What are your thoughts?