Author Topic: 1st Barleywine  (Read 1812 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
Frank, how many IBU are you targeting?

Denny, I went against the grain of best practice and quit measuring IBUs. I always found that the measurements that I would calculate never satisfied my hop liking. So, I'm looking for a butt load of IBUs... enough so that there will be a solid hop presence after a year of aging.

What about dry hopping after a year? Anybody ever done that?

Also, I'm thinking about stretching the boil out to 2 hours so that I can thin the mash out by about a half gallon.

Yes you can dry hop after a year, and I have done that.

+1
usually with English IPA, but it will work great here too.

Was thinking 3 or 4 ounces of cascade
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »
Frank, how many IBU are you targeting?

Denny, I went against the grain of best practice and quit measuring IBUs. I always found that the measurements that I would calculate never satisfied my hop liking. So, I'm looking for a butt load of IBUs... enough so that there will be a solid hop presence after a year of aging.

What about dry hopping after a year? Anybody ever done that?

Also, I'm thinking about stretching the boil out to 2 hours so that I can thin the mash out by about a half gallon.

Yes you can dry hop after a year, and I have done that.

+1
usually with English IPA, but it will work great here too.

+1.  I've done it too. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
Brew day went pretty flawlessly today. Hit a gravity of 1.104... Not too shabby! Can't wait!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
Man, looks like you nailed it !  Now comes the waiting game.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
I finally started to cold crash this beer after 39 days in the fermenter. It finally leveled finished out over the weekend. The FG is 1.027. I'm really happy with that. 10.1% ABV... I'm happy with that too. I'm even happier with the taste. The hydrometer sample was glorious. I plan on bulk aging this in a corny. The plan was a for a year, but I don't know if it will be that long. I might have to dip into it in the fall. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement from you all along the way!
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
Nice. I don't think I'd have the willpower to age in a corny. too easy to sample without realizing how much is left.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
Nice. I don't think I'd have the willpower to age in a corny. too easy to sample without realizing how much is left.

Haha. I was going to do it in a carboy, but with I corny, I know I'm getting all O2 out and it's easier to get completely sanitized. I'm going to hit it with about 25 lbs and put it in a closet somewhere. I plan on bottling it down the road.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »

Haha. I was going to do it in a carboy, but with I corny, I know I'm getting all O2 out and it's easier to get completely sanitized. I'm going to hit it with about 25 lbs and put it in a closet somewhere. I plan on bottling it down the road.

Sounds good, man !  Nice job.  Now I dare you to have some left in a year ! The first good BW I made, you'd have thought it was a session beer with my friends hitting it  :) 
Jon H.

Online tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, if it is glorious now why not just bottle it and start drinking it?  You can save some to see how it ages, and still enjoy it now.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
Out of curiosity, if it is glorious now why not just bottle it and start drinking it?  You can save some to see how it ages, and still enjoy it now.
I see what you're saying. It's glorious in terms of malt flavor and mouth feel. I really didn't have super high expectations in those terms without a bit of aging, so I super hopped it. The hops can stand to tone down a touch. Right now it's probably more in the range of "imperial BW IPA." Another reason why I said fall instead of next spring. I like heavier beers in the fall too.

Also, if I bottled now, like Jon said, we wouldn't have it in a year.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
That's the great thing about Bigfoot, obviously an American BW too. Some years it's very hoppy at release,and I like drinking it right away. But the hoppiness will fade over time and the beer will shift maltier and maltier. Enjoy it now and later !
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:53:55 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »
This is why I bottle mine every year. Then, after 2-5 years I have vertical tasting usually around the New Year.
Dan Chisholm

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
This is why I bottle mine every year. Then, after 2-5 years I have vertical tasting usually around the New Year.
This is the plan as well. It's just aging in the keg.
Frank

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
My kegs are too valuable to do this. But, once in bottles I have trouble saving them.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
My kegs are too valuable to do this. But, once in bottles I have trouble saving them.
You need more kegs.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!