Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st Barleywine  (Read 6307 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 1st Barleywine
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 08:19:08 am »
My kegs are too valuable to do this. But, once in bottles I have trouble saving them.
You need more kegs.  ;)

+100..... :)
Dave Zach

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 08:41:52 am »
I kegged this yesterday. Fortunately I have 10 kegs and only a 4 tap system, so I can spare one for about 6 or 7 months. The plan is to bring it out end if October or early November when the weather starts cooling down a bit.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 08:45:47 am »
I kegged this yesterday. Fortunately I have 10 kegs and only a 4 tap system, so I can spare one for about 6 or 7 months. The plan is to bring it out end if October or early November when the weather starts cooling down a bit.

That FG is pretty right on for a BW, Frank.  You did good !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2014, 09:14:23 am »

That FG is pretty right on for a BW, Frank.  You did good !

Aside for my first grain recipe ever, I probably put more preparation into this beer than any other. I'd say that it was a roll of the dice, but I had a lot of help and advice from you guys! The numbers are numbers are spot on, I'll have to follow with the taste in several months.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 06:17:41 pm »
I finally tapped this keg after letting it age for about 5 months. Holy sweet baby Jesus is it good! I'd certainly buy this beer. Even at 10.1% ABV, I don't pick up any booziness. The hop bitterness and flavor is blended very nicely with the monster malt bill. Thanks to all who gave their advice for this winner. I wish I could share it with all of you.

Frank

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »
That's a pretty color. You got that without the crystal. You should try to bottle a bit of it so you can save it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »
Man that's a beauty ! You nailed it Frank. Enjoy !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 07:19:40 pm »
It's probably more bronze than this deep amber you see in the pic. The basement lighting isn't that great. I did a side by side with 21st Lower de Boom. They're very similar. Lower de Boom is a touch thinner in mouth feel with a touch boozier. Mine is like biting into a loaf of bread. You can almost chew on it, but it's very smooth.

Frank