Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Kyle Quinn

• 1st Kit
Aeration?
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:42:20 am »
When is aeration good for the beer and when is it bad?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Aeration?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:56 am »
Aeration is good for wort that has been cooled and is ready to be pitched with yeast. Yeast need oxygen at first to grow. Aeration is bad just about any other time.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:46:12 am »
It's bad before the wort is below about 85F.  It's good after that and up to about 12 hours (or so) after fermentation starts. It's generally bad after that.   So the best period for aeration is after the wort is below 85F and before it's 12 hours into fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Kyle!  There are great brewers who can answer your questions and you can also search a lot of topics that have been pretty well settled by discussion.

Denny - with using a WIC do you find that the wort is aerated slightly by the whirlpooling against the immersion chiller?  With mine I get a slight burp as I start it, from air in the hoses, then it is just mixing wort.  That can't be much of a problem, right?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »
According to Bamforth, any aeration while hot is going to be cleaned up in a healthy fermentation. Unless you are aerating to the point that it's using up all of your head forming materials, but then you just won't have much head.

Before I heard about hot side aeration I used a mix stir to aid my chiller. My experience is that the final beer has no oxidation and the head retention was minimally effected.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:18 am »
According to Bamforth, any aeration while hot is going to be cleaned up in a healthy fermentation. Unless you are aerating to the point that it's using up all of your head forming materials, but then you just won't have much head.

Before I heard about hot side aeration I used a mix stir to aid my chiller. My experience is that the final beer has no oxidation and the head retention was minimally effected.

In his most recent BeerSmith interview, he went a bit short of saying that there is no such thing as HSA. What he did emphasize, firmly and repeatedly, is that it's a waste of time to worry about the effects of HSA until you shore up all your practices downstream.

He did say that once you have your fermentation, packaging and storage practices tightened up, then you may possibly see some benefit to minimizing O2 on the hot side. So, not exactly a ringing endorsement of the spectre of HSA. And to your point, he also mentioned that yeast do a good job at mopping up a lot of the off flavors that may be produced prior to fermentation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:11:18 am »
Sounds exactly like what he said on brew strong.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:12:30 am »
Denny - with using a WIC do you find that the wort is aerated slightly by the whirlpooling against the immersion chiller?  With mine I get a slight burp as I start it, from air in the hoses, then it is just mixing wort.  That can't be much of a problem, right?

Maybe a bit, but it's never caused a problem.  My point of view is to be conservative...there's little danger IMO, but it's so easy to avoid that there's no reason not to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kyle Quinn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 04:00:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys.  Much appreciated.