Author Topic: PH Test Strips  (Read 601 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
    • View Profile
PH Test Strips
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
Hi all!

I thought I would take the next step in my brewing education by reading books on water quality and working to adjust my water PH (I know there are other factors but I'm focusing on PH first). I bought some Precision Labs strips the other day at my LHBS and took several readings at the 5-7 minute mark during the mash by pouring a small amount of the wort into a cup and quickly cooling to room temp. I came up with 3 pretty different readings making me think the strips aren't all that accurate.

Is there a better way to take readings other than strips?

Thanks!
Homebrewing isn't my obsession, it's my life calling, there's a difference.

AHA Lifetime Member

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: PH Test Strips
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »
sure, there are pH meters. they can be had for ~50 bucks and up. I am not prepared to discuss the relative quality of each because I do not use one.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I think the better way is to get a water test and find out the mineral content of your water. You can predict mash pH based on that. Testing pH is more like step 2.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Online Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
I think the better way is to get a water test and find out the mineral content of your water. You can predict mash pH based on that. Testing pH is more like step 2.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Agreed, better to understand your water composition first so that when you do test your pH you'll better understand why and what to do about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:47:13 PM by Pinski »
Thank you BEER!

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
If the water composition is relatively constant, a water test and utilizing a decent water calculator will get most brewers 90 + percent of the way to what you can achieve with a pH meter. Meters are generally more accurate than any strips, but they have more upkeep.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
  If you do take the plunge and buy a ph meter....don't skimp.   Most brewers I know, have 2 - 3 cheaper models they purchased before buying a more expensive model.
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
  If you do take the plunge and buy a ph meter....don't skimp.   Most brewers I know, have 2 - 3 cheaper models they purchased before buying a more expensive model.

Guilty.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »

I used to be guilty with this on many occasions. Now I just buy the best and don't buy it again. Saves money in the grand scheme of things.

Also I have a Hanna pHep 5 and like it a lot.
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Redbird Brewhouse - Current Project: Full Basement Bar Build

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
I wonder if your readings changed based on temperature fluctuations across your three readings. In a small vessel it's easy to have wider temperature fluctuations, especially if you used your freezer to cool it quickly, and that could affect how accurate your three readings could have been.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline chumley

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »
The thing that drove me nuts about pH strips is that for the ones I got, the color is based shades of yellow to dark brown, with the 5.1 to 5.5 range being several light to medium brown shades.  Guess how well that works for dark beers?  >:(

pH meters......I used to use field pH meters when I was a young environmental consultant 25 years ago sampling monitoring wells.  Keeping them calibrated was a royal pain.  Unless they got better, don't waste your time. +1 to Martin's advice.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Thanks all for the good advise!

I definitely think the temperature irregularity was an issue and it could have also been that as time went by my mash itself was changing in PH.

I did get a water report (sent to Ward Labs) which came back and I tried to use the calculators online to hlep me estimate what water adjustments needed to happen, this is the trial and error phase I think with my equipment and process.

I'll definitely be looking into a quality PH meter, thanks all!
Homebrewing isn't my obsession, it's my life calling, there's a difference.

AHA Lifetime Member

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
Thanks all for the good advise!

I definitely think the temperature irregularity was an issue and it could have also been that as time went by my mash itself was changing in PH.

I did get a water report (sent to Ward Labs) which came back and I tried to use the calculators online to hlep me estimate what water adjustments needed to happen, this is the trial and error phase I think with my equipment and process.

I'll definitely be looking into a quality PH meter, thanks all!
I really like http://www.brewersfriend.com/ water calculators. The basic allows you to enter your own water values and calculate adjustments to target certain profiles. Advanced lets you enter grist and acid adjustments to calculate mash pH. They really make adjusting pretty easy and a good pH meter will let you double check that the calculations are correct.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline wort-h.o.g.

• Brewer
  • Was möchten Sie trinken?
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »

Guilty.
+3 guilty :o

Offline Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
I will never buy a PH meter. I hate hate having to maintain and replace parts for anything. I trust in Bru'n Water.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
I bought a pH meter last yr and used it three times.  The readings I got were right on with what Bru'n Water predicted, so I ended up selling the pH meter.

Funny story on selling it is that I listed the pH meter on CL.  The first response I got wanted to trade some "top shelf mmj."  I had to google mmj to confirm what I thought it was.  I guess this is expected w/ the new laws here in CO.  I went w/ the guy that paid in cash.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg