Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Toasting Oats  (Read 2345 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Toasting Oats
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »
its been a while since I've toasted oats.  Am noodling around some ideas for an ESB or a nut brown ale (or both) and include toasted oats at 5-10% of the bill to add some silky body and some complexity to the malt flavor. 

I can't remember the times and temps that are best - and I remember putting them in a paper bag weeks ahead of time after toasting them to 'degas' them.

what is YOUR process?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Toasting Oats
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:16:58 pm »
~275 in a shallow cookie sheet, keep an eye on 'em and turn with a spatula as they begin to brown. Remove when the house smells rediculicious.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:13:42 pm »
I've been using 325F for 10 minutes with a turn using a spatula at about 5 minutes. Some come out dark some very light.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:52:32 pm »
~275 in a shallow cookie sheet, keep an eye on 'em and turn with a spatula as they begin to brown. Remove when the house smells rediculicious.

That's what I do. The lower temp is a big help - the browning happens slower and lets you get it just right. It's easier @ higher temps to get them too brown. Turn them several times to get them cooked evenly. I take them out when they just turn brown. Into the paper bag - I've used them in as little as 3 days, though a week seems to be popular. 3days worked very well for me.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:33:20 pm »
I don't think there's any need to let them rest. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04:25 pm »
I just finished a brown with 3% toasted oats myself.  I used the toaster/convection oven at 325. Took about 8 min with turning on occasions when they started to brown. Love the smell they put through the house :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:01:12 am »
I don't think there's any need to let them rest.

I think I agree. I don't toast them for beer brewing (much) but I toast them for home made trail bars and use them right away. They taste great toasted. Can't see what degassing would do for them. 325 works for me. Stir them around every few minutes.

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:18:14 am »
I go low and slow also, around 275 stirring every 5 minutes until the desired color.

Resting them, from what I'd heard, is supposed to reduce bitterness or something, but I really didn't have any bitterness in my last oatmeal stout - real smooth, actually, and I used the toasted oats within a few hours - the house still smelled fantastic!
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA