Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raised glass lettering on bottle?  (Read 9267 times)

Offline whiskey

• 1st Kit
Raised glass lettering on bottle?
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:04:15 pm »
Greetings!

Quick question on the National Homebrewing Compitition.

Per the AHA rukes and regs for the NHC....

BEER entries must be in bottles that are brown or green glass only, 10 to 14 ounces in volume.
MEAD and CIDER entries must be in bottles that are brown, green, or clear glass, 10 to 14
ounces in volume. All bottles must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition
entry labels. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.
Bottles with Grölsch-type swing tops are not allowed.
Corked bottles are acceptable with the following conditions: the bottle must be 10 to 14 ounces;
flush corks must have a crown cap crimped over the cork; bottles corked with a stopper and wire
cage are also acceptable.
Odd-shaped bottles are acceptable if they meet the above requirements. Bottles not meeting the
above requirements will be disqualified.

What about raised glass lettering, i.e. Sam Adams, New Belgium etc bottles? Would these fall into the "odd shaped bottles"?

Are these ok?

I have competed in competitions in the past that specifically stated "no raised glass lettering" and usually make sure I have a case or so of "virgin" bottles for comps, I seem to be a few bottles short for the NHC.

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
Re: Raised glass lettering on bottle?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »
I would avoid raised glass lettering or any other marking. Judges, though they can't judge in categories where they've entered their own beers, their friends may have. If there's a bottle in their flight where they know that Jimbob uses those bottles, that could could skew things, so as a general rule they're frowned upon. The basic nondescript brown bottle is best. I always keep the bottles from commercial beers that I buy (assuming no particular markings) and just oxyclean the labels off.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:30 am »
I would avoid raised glass lettering or any other marking. Judges, though they can't judge in categories where they've entered their own beers, their friends may have. If there's a bottle in their flight where they know that Jimbob uses those bottles, that could could skew things, so as a general rule they're frowned upon. The basic nondescript brown bottle is best. I always keep the bottles from commercial beers that I buy (assuming no particular markings) and just oxyclean the labels off.

Frowned upon maybe but its never an issue with points.

Jimbob, Jethro et al , fact of the matter is many bottles have raised lettering and they are fairly cosmopolitan throughout competitions at the local, regional and national levels.

Considering Sam Adams is a HUGE SPONSOR some judges etc. need to jump off the high horse and judge the beer based on whats in the bottle rather than some raised lettering.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:51 am »
I don't think I've ever judged in a comp where raised lettering wasn't accepted.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:13:46 am »
I don't think I've ever judged in a comp where raised lettering wasn't accepted.

That's what I thought to be the case but I suppose anything can happen.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:06 am »
Just to be clear, the bottles with the "Fullers" raised lettering are mine.

;) (not)
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:05 am »
At every comp I've been to I've inevitably seen something where one judge starts to object and make noises about dq'ing an entry for a Sam Adams or NB bottle of some variety only to get shouted down by their fellow panelists.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:01 am »
At every comp I've been to I've inevitably seen something where one judge starts to object and make noises about dq'ing an entry for a Sam Adams or NB bottle of some variety only to get shouted down by their fellow panelists.
+1
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 12:53:27 pm »
+1

+2.  It's more important to judge the beer than to worry about a nit picky rule that makes no difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »
Hey, let's all go green and use recycled Sam Adams bottles!

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:51:14 am »
+1

+2.  It's more important to judge the beer than to worry about a nit picky rule that makes no difference.

+3

Couldn't agree more. It's about the beer not the bottle. However, to be safe it would be in one's best interests to follow the rules. Correct me if I'M wrong but I don't believe there is a rule specifically called out raised lettering.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »
Correct me if I'M wrong but I don't believe there is a rule specifically called out raised lettering.

Really depends on the competition.  Here's the specific rule for our local Spirit Of Free Beer competition (an MCAB qualifier)...

What kind of bottles are eligible?
3 bottles are required per entry. 10 to 14 ounce beer bottles. Brown longnecks are preferred, but green or clear will be accepted. Please, no labels, no raised markings, no painted labels, no Grolsch type swing tops, and no growlers. Caps must be free of markings or marked out. Please do not ask us to return bottles or shipping materials.

...and here's the specific rule from the War Of the Worts competition...

Bottles may be brown or green glass, and must be free of any labels, raised glass designs, etched logos, or other identifying marks

...and there're plenty more where those came from.  So it really depends on the specific ecomtetiion
Joe

Offline Brew.Drink.Repeat.

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »
To me the bigger question is: why would you even risk it? It's not like plain ol' 12 oz. brown bottles are scarce, so there's no need to even consider using a bottle with raised lettering, or extra molding around the neck, or any other unique characteristics. Is it really that difficult to bottle any beer you plan to enter (or even think you might consider entering) in plain brown bottles and save the others (Sam Adams bottles, etc.) for your own personal use?
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

South Jersey Fermentation Club (formerly Barley Legal Homebrewers)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 05:27:27 am »
To me the bigger question is: why would you even risk it? It's not like plain ol' 12 oz. brown bottles are scarce, so there's no need to even consider using a bottle with raised lettering, or extra molding around the neck, or any other unique characteristics. Is it really that difficult to bottle any beer you plan to enter (or even think you might consider entering) in plain brown bottles and save the others (Sam Adams bottles, etc.) for your own personal use?

About half the bottles I have/get are Sam Adams bottles

Keep in mind, Sam Adams/Boston Beer Compay = BIGGEST sponsor of the NHC
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline Brew.Drink.Repeat.

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:29 am »
About half the bottles I have/get are Sam Adams bottles
So use the other half for competitions...!

Keep in mind, Sam Adams/Boston Beer Compay = BIGGEST sponsor of the NHC
Irrelevant in terms of what bottles to enter... but perhaps they'd consider donating enough bottles so everyone could use SA bottles to enter?
 ;)

To be clear, I never dock points for raised lettering or other moldings, or glue smudges on the bottle (I hear more complaints about that than the raised lettering). But in the interests of complete anonymity, and the widespread access to "regular" bottles (from commercial beers or your local homebrew shop) I just don't think it's wise or necessary to use anything else.

One could even argue that crossing off identifying info on the cap, rather than using an unmarked cap, can give away clues as to the entrant's identity... we have one judge locally here who often uses blue sharpie rather than black to cross off any identifying info on his caps... the problem is, he's the only one who uses blue and many of us know who he is!
 :(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:51:16 am by Brew.Drink.Repeat. »
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

South Jersey Fermentation Club (formerly Barley Legal Homebrewers)