Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raised glass lettering on bottle?  (Read 9218 times)

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Raised glass lettering on bottle?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 03:02:03 pm »
Hi all,

For the record, the National Homebrew Competition no longer bans the use of embossed bottles, and that has nothing to do with competition sponsorship.  The reason there was a ban on raised lettering was because breweries using those bottles were regional, so the concept of anonymity of the entry in the competition was compromised.  As those breweries began distributing nationwide, there wasn't any reason to continue to ban the embossed bottles.

Most other competitions, however, have not yet accepted bottles with raised lettering.  You should always read each competitions rules and regulations regarding the types of bottles allowed.

Cheers,
    Janis

Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 04:46:53 pm »
As with most things, this is really specific to each competition and ultimately up to the competition organizer to make the call whether to DQ an entry.  The competitions I've organized, worked on, and most I've judged have allowed most/all entries in embossed bottled from the big name breweries (Sam Adams, New Belgium, etc.).  The possible exception would be if it was something so unique to the area as to remove doubt if the brewer - as a judge or steward - walked by the table.  In that case it should be flagged at check in and the brewer contacted to be given the option of sending new bottles w/o markings.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 01:54:00 am »
To me the bigger question is: why would you even risk it? It's not like plain ol' 12 oz. brown bottles are scarce, so there's no need to even consider using a bottle with raised lettering, or extra molding around the neck, or any other unique characteristics. Is it really that difficult to bottle any beer you plan to enter (or even think you might consider entering) in plain brown bottles and save the others (Sam Adams bottles, etc.) for your own personal use?

Um I live in the UK, and most decent beer comes in 500ml bottles, which are too large. I have to go with what I can find, and that frequently means the Bud bottles from my neighbour's recycling.

And, there is not mention of it in the NHC rules, which means you can't be penalised for it.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/