Author Topic: IPA malt bill advice  (Read 1267 times)

Offline trapae

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
IPA malt bill advice
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »
I just brewed an IPA with the following malt bill:

Pale 2 row 82%
Vienna 14%
Crystal 15 4%

OG 1.065
IBU 75

I really like it and it tastes balanced with just enough malt and tad of sweetness to balance the hops.
I want to brew a similar recipe with IBUs of about 65 using Munich instead of Vienna and crystal 40 instead of 15.  I don't want it any sweeter and have never used munich. 
My question is, any opinions on the percentages, ie should I use less munich (and/or crystal 40) than I did vienna or crystal 15?

Thanks

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Online Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Re: IPA malt bill advice
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »
I wouldn't use c40. I never go over c20 in an IPA.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
I think avoiding sweetness in IPAs is more about :

1/ Keeping crystal to 5% or less, than the actual  lovibond rating. I like C20 and/or C40 for most of mine.   

2/ Using a BU/GU of 1 or slightly above.

3/ Using gypsum to dry the finish and bring hop bitterness and flavor to the forefront.

4/ Mashing ~ 150F 

Jon H.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »
I think avoiding sweetness in IPAs is more about :

1/ Keeping crystal to 5% or less, than the actual  lovibond rating. I like C20 and/or C40 for most of mine.   

2/ Using a BU/GU of 1 or slightly above.

3/ Using gypsum to dry the finish and bring hop bitterness and flavor to the forefront.

4/ Mashing ~ 150F 

+1 I totally agree with Jon here.  Grain bill something like 80-85% pale, 10-15% munich, and 5% crystal 20 or 40......

What is your plan for hops?

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:04 AM »
I have had good success with:
75% Two row
20% Munich
5% crystal 40/60
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:23:59 AM by goschman »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
It depends on the IPA. I did a Ballantines IPA clones that had 6 row, corn, and C80. Verdict was delicious.

Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
It depends on the IPA. I did a Ballantines IPA clones that had 6 row, corn, and C80. Verdict was delicious.

+1

Depends if you're going for an English-like malt profile OR East Coast OR West Coastish maltiness. I like a blend of Maris Otter and 2-row with 5% C40 and 2.5% Carapils. I also like to go with C60 if I want a little more color.  Another option is to use a percentage (10-20%) Munich Malt which adds some defined (a little more complexity) maltiness. However, the hop character should be the showcase in this beer style.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
I've been enjoying my latest, I was short on malt so I bumped the gravity with ~1 kilo of evaporated cane juice (hippie sugar) to 10 gallons. came out nice.

I threw everything I had at it so it was mostly pale malt and munich with a touch of rye and a touch of wheat and then the sugar. I can't taste the rye or the wheat (big suprise) but the body is crisp without being overly thin, you can drink a few, and the munich maltiness comes through nicely with some perceived sweetness.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »
Good advice all around. What I'd add is to keep the Munich to 20% or less. IMO, once you get above 20% Munich, the maltiness starts to compete with, rather than compliment, the hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
Good advice all around. What I'd add is to keep the Munich to 20% or less. IMO, once you get above 20% Munich, the maltiness starts to compete with, rather than compliment, the hops.

as a confirmed munichaholic I will agree with this. munich is pretty intense. remember it's an IPA you want the malt there as a canvas not the show.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:20 PM »

as a confirmed munichaholic I will agree with this. munich is pretty intense. remember it's an IPA you want the malt there as a canvas not the show.

+1
Jon H.

Offline goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Yeah it just depends on what you are going for. I prefer a more balanced IPA which is why I usually go with 20% munich. I think the original grain bill looks good but you could easily sub equal amounts of Vienna for Munich and Crystal 15 for something darker or not.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
Yeah it just depends on what you are going for. I prefer a more balanced IPA which is why I usually go with 20% munich. I think the original grain bill looks good but you could easily sub equal amounts of Vienna for Munich and Crystal 15 for something darker or not.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Munich in an IPA. My last IPA had 20% Munich, 5% Victory and still tasted like a 60+ IBU Mai Tai. But I've tried brewing a hoppy Festbier and I definitely feel like I lost some of the hops to the malt.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Munich in an IPA. My last IPA had 20% Munich, 5% Victory and still tasted like a 60+ IBU Mai Tai. But I've tried brewing a hoppy Festbier and I definitely feel like I lost some of the hops to the malt.

Yeah I don't think my IPA balance preference is one that is shared by most people.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Munich is one of the greatest malts on the planet, just needs to be restrained in AIPA IMO. I agree totally with the 20% cutoff. That's what's so great about brewing, though - we can all debate an ingredient but still get to make it our own damn way !     
Jon H.