Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Box  (Read 2309 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Beer Box
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:02:22 am »
Has anyone seen this yet? Thoughts?
http://www.brewingtools.com

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Beer Box
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:07:41 am »
Ive heard of Plastic kegs blowing up to fatal consequences before.  I can only assume these could have the same potential problem if mistreated or mishandled.  Throw in the fact that you could rpobably get a few 5g kegs and a used co2 tank for about the same money i would ask why you would bother?  If its because of batch size they sell smaller kegs;)

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:25:09 am »
Flat sides are nice for storage, but not great for holding pressure. Makes me wonder if the sides will bulge with carbonated beer inside. I'd like it more if it used a small regulator and paintball CO2 tank. I have one of those CO2 injectors for a keg and you have to babysit it at parties. Other than that, possible PITA to clean with just a small opening.

For the money I'd buy some 2.5 gallon kegs. They were on sale for $80 last Black Friday.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:40 am »
Initially, I see these as good for picnics, camping, beach, etc...  For the more serious homebrewer who is already equipped it will be mostly redundant.

While I have both 3 & 2.5 gal kegs my instinct would be to package and force-carb in 2L bottles.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:02 am »
i would buy 2.5 gallon sanke kegs plastic kegs of america. can get 10 of them for around 500 and go in with somebody
Don AHA member

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22:48 am »
i would buy 2.5 gallon sanke kegs plastic kegs of america. can get 10 of them for around 500 and go in with somebody

Has PKA been involved in any of the keg failures?

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:05 am »

Has PKA been involved in any of the keg failures?

Yes

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »
The PKA kegs that blew up were under more pressure than any homebrew process should allow. These were kegs being cleaned under pressure. At Yellowhammer we started with PKA kegs and never had one blow. We keep cleaning pressure under 40 psi.

That said, much prefer stainless. We won't buy any more plstic kegs. But its not because of the explosions.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 03:30:38 pm »
The biggest draw for me is the fact that I can throw it in the refrigerator and don't need a big CO2 canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »
The biggest draw for me is the fact that I can throw it in the refrigerator and don't need a big CO2 canister.

You can still hook a keg up to one of them little minico2 things;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 06:29:05 am »

You can still hook a keg up to one of them little minico2 things;)
Yes, I have one. It screws onto a standard threaded gas disconnect. Granted, it's even smaller than a 2.5 gallon keg.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958