Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Immersion Chiller question  (Read 4060 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Immersion Chiller question
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 06:27:56 am »

I will ask all of you that say slow, how does the water pump in you car flow vs. engine load operation?

The water pump flow volume increases with engine RPM's of course.  The thermostat may close a bit to throttle the flow if it gets too cold.  If the radiator gets clogged then it shows up first by the engine running hotter at highway speeds.  I imagine this is because there is less cooling area available as the radiator gets clogged rather than the flow being impeded.  Does that sound right?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 06:30:15 am »

I will ask all of you that say slow, how does the water pump in you car flow vs. engine load operation?

The water pump flow volume increases with engine RPM's of course.  The thermostat may close a bit to throttle the flow if it gets too cold.  If the radiator gets clogged then it shows up first by the engine running hotter at highway speeds.  I imagine this is because there is less cooling area available as the radiator gets clogged rather than the flow being impeded.  Does that sound right?
I'm confused. Where do you put the hops?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:43 am »
I don't know but I knew a kid with a hopped up engine.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:05:36 am »

Correct Jeff. The pump output is low at idle, rises in a parabolic curve with RPM, as the max heat is generated at max power, which is at high RPM.

When working in Germany I learned that the Autobahn was not the worst case design case, it was easy due to the high flow of air through the radiator. Worst case was pulling a trailer on a hot day up a pass in the Alps. High heat generation, low flow of warm thin air. Made perfect sense. That coolant - air - has to carry the heat away.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:49 am »
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I guess I will go faster to cool faster, and find a purpose for the water. I also really like what I have seen elsewhere on here about cooling to a specific point, say 80, and letting stand overnight for a pitch the next day after finishing cooling in a cold basement, etc. I guess I knew the answer was faster cools faster, just got caught up in the trap of not realizing that it was the colder ground water (larger delta) that was making the difference, I thought it was changing the speed of flow. Thanks again and good brewing to all!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 07:44:38 am »
IIRC faster is good until you have 100F or so, at which time you should slow it down for a chance for more heat exchange.

+ 1.  Fast is good initially in part because it helps induce natural convection in the wort.