Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ditching the glass carboy...  (Read 9397 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Ditching the glass carboy...
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:55 pm »
There's no price listed yet, but Blichamnn has the Cornical coming out:

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/new-innovations-coming-soon

Cornicaltm MODULAR KEGGING AND FERMENTING SYSTEM

The next innovation coming off our workstations is a revolutionary NEW PATENT PENDING Cornicaltm MODULAR KEGGING AND FERMENTING SYSTEM.  Built with a Corny keg at its core, we've integrated an exchangable bottom to allow you to ferment with our conical bottom, then flip it over, switch to a standard keg bottom, and you're ready to carbonate and dispense!  The beauty of this system is the elimination of transferring the beer and also the competitive price!  The keg body is Italian made on modern automated machinery - no inferior welds like other imports.  The conical bottom is one piece and made right here at home!  We'll be in production this summer - check back for updates!!!

It's not April 1st is it?

Sooo, how do you go about removing the conical piece without stirring up the yeast or dumping your beer.  I'm not "seeing" the vision.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »
There's no price listed yet, but Blichamnn has the Cornical coming out:

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/new-innovations-coming-soon

Cornicaltm MODULAR KEGGING AND FERMENTING SYSTEM

The next innovation coming off our workstations is a revolutionary NEW PATENT PENDING Cornicaltm MODULAR KEGGING AND FERMENTING SYSTEM.  Built with a Corny keg at its core, we've integrated an exchangable bottom to allow you to ferment with our conical bottom, then flip it over, switch to a standard keg bottom, and you're ready to carbonate and dispense!  The beauty of this system is the elimination of transferring the beer and also the competitive price!  The keg body is Italian made on modern automated machinery - no inferior welds like other imports.  The conical bottom is one piece and made right here at home!  We'll be in production this summer - check back for updates!!!

It's not April 1st is it?

Sooo, how do you go about removing the conical piece without stirring up the yeast or dumping your beer.  I'm not "seeing" the vision.

I would guess the idea is to dump the yeast from the bottom of the conical part (I am assuming there is a bottom dump valve), then turn the whole thing upside down, swap the bottom section and turn it right side up again.

it seems to me though that even with the cone you wouldn't gain enough headspace to actually ferment a 5 gallon batch in it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 01:38:30 pm »
My thoughts too. Ideally with the cone on you'd get ~ 6.5 gallons capacity to give room for headspace, but I dunno.   ???
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »
You're probably right Jonathan.  I don't know, I bet for the price they'll ask for this it makes an even better case for me to support the BruGear Kickstarter and order the damn 14 gal. conical already.  Anyone mind if I rationalize.  ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 01:50:53 pm »
I know buckets are cheaper, but I think my BBs only cost like $20 each or so.  Not a lot of bling factor, but they're in my basement which ain't so fancy anyway.  Unless you like washing machines and furnaces and stuff like that.

I just don't see the point in a convertible keg fermenter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »
That cornical is just weird. Considering it uses an italian keg, price will be $250 minimum.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 03:31:47 pm »
My 7.9 gallon buckets were $30 but after six years... that's $5 a year each and going down. And see no need to replace them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »
My 7.9 gallon buckets were $30 but after six years... that's $5 a year each and going down. And see no need to replace them.

+1.  They're not glamorous. They just have a ton of headspace and work.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 08:11:16 am »
So you have to flip the keg over to switch out the bottom, open it up to air and the flip it back over? Sounds like the kind of oxidation most of us would rather avoid.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 08:35:14 am »
So you have to flip the keg over to switch out the bottom, open it up to air and the flip it back over? Sounds like the kind of oxidation most of us would rather avoid.

+1 Kinda negates a key benefit of fermenting in corny.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 10:32:55 am »
I bought some really nice 9 gallon buckets from brewmasters warehouse in Ga.  they are opaque and work great.  Carboys are just an absolute PIA.  I used to fear infections coming from the plastic.  Only infections I've had came from not cleaning the bottling spigot years ago. 
Jeff B

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »
I still use the glass carboy that came with my starter kit, but everything else goes into plastic. I generally use buckets for primaries and Better Bottles for secondaries (I.e., sours and meads).

I don't use spigots on my fermenters, but I feel pretty confident in my cleaning process for my bottling bucket. I have two spigots. After I bottle a batch I swap out the spigots and throw the dirty one in the bucket when I do my PBW soak. End result is a squeaky clean spigot and my bucket is ready to go for next time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 12:23:40 am »
I'd avoid the standard bottling spigot and go for the fermenting type. Those clumsy bottling spigots I've had the dismay of using have all failed at some point and certainly harbored bacteria.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:42 am »
I'd avoid the standard bottling spigot and go for the fermenting type. Those clumsy bottling spigots I've had the dismay of using have all failed at some point and certainly harbored bacteria.

+1
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 07:51:06 am »
My first thought when I saw the drawing was it's a solution looking for a problem. 

For thing you would need to replace all you existing kegs for ease of use.  Second, how long will it take to damage that large (I assume) o-ring that makes the seal?

I've sort of moved through my "gadgets for the sake of gadgets" phase and I think having good practices will get you farther than new things like this.

For good measure.  GET OFF MY LAWN!

Opinions of an old.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?