Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Corks for Champagne Bottles?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Belgian Corks for Champagne Bottles?
« on: February 11, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »
I was wondering if Belgian-style corks (designed for Belgian bottles) would fit into Champagne bottles. Any experience?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Belgian Corks for Champagne Bottles?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:58:24 pm »
The belgian corks are fatter then regular champagnie corks but i believe the bottle neck size is the same.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:45:52 am »
Not sure if you can get those corks squeezed down to fit in the bottles. Like Belgian bottles, there is some variance in the size of the mouth. Champagne bottles that held beer seem to generally have wider mouths than the bottles used for wine. I use champagne bottles for my sour beers and I cork them with plastic corks (it's not very classy but effective and doesn't require a corker). With bottles that held beer I can usually push the cork in by hand and carbonation will try to push the cork out without a tight fit on the cage. Some formerly beer bottles need a little extra work to get the cork in. The bottles that once held a sparkling wine almost always have tighter mouths and I have to (gently) hammer the corks in.

The bottles used by commercial brewers tend to fit a 29mm crown if you have a capper/corker that you can adjust to the larger bell. Might be easier (and cheaper) than buying another size of corks. Most of the champagne bottles you find in homebrewing shops fit the standard American crown. Same for Goose Island 750ml bottles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:20:00 pm »
BTW, I discovered you can if you have a good-quality corker (I do).

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
Which corker do you use?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:05:28 am »
I use this Ferarri Bench Corker: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BENCH-CORKER-P1300.aspx

Basically, it squeezes down any cork to the size of a standard wine bottle, then plunges it in. A Belgian-style cork is about the maximum size that will fit, but it still does fit.