Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New or old Soda Kegs  (Read 8876 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: New or old Soda Kegs
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:19 am »
I bought two corny kegs in (I think) 2010 for $30 each. I frequently think about selling them back into the market at current prices since I don't have a keg set up yet.

It's going to start getting cheap enough to find used 1/6th barrel sanke kegs and buy sanke connectors over buying corny kegs. I've seen the 1/6ths on craigslist for as little as $25. 7.5 gallon sankes sometimes float around for $20-50. Corny kegs locally are $45-60. I hear there are going to be 7.5 gallon slim kegs showing up on the market that may replace the 1/6th kegs which could push those out onto the homebrewing market.
Except the hassle of cleaning them is keeping them out of the homebrewing market, for the most part. Right?
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:19 am »
I bought two corny kegs in (I think) 2010 for $30 each. I frequently think about selling them back into the market at current prices since I don't have a keg set up yet.

It's going to start getting cheap enough to find used 1/6th barrel sanke kegs and buy sanke connectors over buying corny kegs. I've seen the 1/6ths on craigslist for as little as $25. 7.5 gallon sankes sometimes float around for $20-50. Corny kegs locally are $45-60. I hear there are going to be 7.5 gallon slim kegs showing up on the market that may replace the 1/6th kegs which could push those out onto the homebrewing market.
Except the hassle of cleaning them is keeping them out of the homebrewing market, for the most part. Right?
And I can't help but think those are not legally owned. Add to that, a sixtel is more likely stolen from a craft brewery than a BMC.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:21 am »
Agreed. But you can get them for a reasonable price at Beverage Factory, brand new.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 08:20:12 am »
Agreed. But you can get them for a reasonable price at Beverage Factory, brand new.
You're right. Damn, why are they cheaper than ball locks? Demand I guess.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 12:31:22 pm »
You're right. Damn, why are they cheaper than ball locks? Demand I guess.
Right, if they weren't purportedly such a pain the ass to clean, I'd switch.
Jesse

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:46 pm »

And I can't help but think those are not legally owned. Add to that, a sixtel is more likely stolen from a craft brewery than a BMC.
Please do not buy stolen kegs.
New 1/6 Is about $100 + shipping.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:21 am »
I returned to hobby last fall after being away from amateur brewing for the better part of eleven years.  I just wish that I had held onto some of my old gear.  While the cost of a lot of brewing gear has not increased significantly since I left the hobby, I cannot believe the prices that used soda kegs are fetching these days.   I paid $10.00 each for the soda kegs that I purchased in 1993, and they were clean soda kegs with nice rubber, no dents, and no creases.  Now, my local homebrew shop wants $60.00 each for soda kegs that look like they spent time in a war zone.  At a minimum, these kegs will need a new set of o-rings.  Most will probably need at least one new poppet to ensure leak-free operation.   

I do not know about other AHA members, but, for me, the price delta between new and used was too small to justify the hassle of refurbishing used soda kegs, which is why I went with new AEB soda kegs this time around.  I suspect that $75.00 will be the price point at which all, but the most house or student loan poor amateur brewers will choose to purchase new soda kegs.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:14:12 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:16 am »
At the LHBS, the owner had a beautiful prototype from China. Still in negotiation on features and price. I would buy new. The welds were the best I have seen from China, and the quality was top notch. Will just have to see how it works out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!