Author Topic: One gallon blow off  (Read 425 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
One gallon blow off
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:41:39 AM »
I have (2) one gallon batches chugging away and after 48 hours these beers are vigorously fermenting. My question is that the krausen has gone a bit too high and gone into the three piece airlock. I took the time to clean them out this morning and sanitized, but I can tell this is going to happen again.
Should I just let it run it's course, or cover with some loose aluminum foil. Does it even matter at this stage?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: One gallon blow off
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:45:22 AM »
The risk from leaving the airlock on is that sometimes they clog, build pressure, and spray beer on the ceiling. Foil would be better.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
With the three piece airlocks you can take off the top two pieces and attach a blowoff tube to run into a container of water.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
With the three piece airlocks you can take off the top two pieces and attach a blowoff tube to run into a container of water.

you still deal with the potential of clogging and blowing though in my experience. I  vote foil

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:03 AM »
Yeah threw some foil on it. Hopefully no fruit flies find it! IME, the krausen should fall back down later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »

you still deal with the potential of clogging and blowing though in my experience. I  vote foil

When I do this, I make sure to bust off the little cross at the bottom of the 3-piece airlocks.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.