Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baseball 2014  (Read 6740 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Baseball 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 05:42:23 pm »
I remember him playing bit never knew the breadth of his accomplishments. Never more than 40 strike outs in a season for 20 seasons; ESPN says 3 players had more than 40 in April this year! More .300 seasons than Ty Conn and it just went on and on!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk

Here's one that blew me away:

Combined, he had 323 at-bats against Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, and Pedro, and he struck out THREE. TIMES.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »

Here's one that blew me away:

Combined, he had 323 at-bats against Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, and Pedro, and he struck out THREE. TIMES.

Yeah that's amazing. And that was the cream of the crop from the mound.
Jon H.

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:38 am »
Hey guys, I'm really pleased to have found this thread.
I'm in the UK and was a fan of baseball in my teenage years; though the coverage over here was pretty sparse 25 years or so ago. I used to watch the coverage at the time and enjoyed it without really developing an understanding of the fine detail of the game.
My interest has been re-ignited over the past two seasons or so.....I get access to probably 5 or 6 live matches per week these days from my TV provider, and I've developed much more understanding of the rules and tactics etc.
A lot of the games start around Midnight/1 am here, so I rarely see those.....but there are also plenty that get going around 8 pm, which is great  8)

I noticed Derek Jeters name popped up earlier in thread.....he is one of the few player I remember from watching first time around and I nearly fell of my chair last season when I caught a Yankees game, and there he was still playing at top level and playing well by all accounts too!! :)

I have plans to come over to the US someday to do a bit of a beer/food trip.....and when I make it happen I will definitely include taking in a game....it looks like everyone has such a great time.
Those seats (or are they armchairs/lazyboys) behind home plate look like the place to be.......but boy are those an expensive treat!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:54:30 am by markpotts »
Yorkshire, England

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 10:21:53 am »
Markpotts,

Definitely catch a pro game if you can, but also look around for all the minor league options.  Usually for the price of 1 ticket to the Red Sox, I can get 2-3 tickets and food at a minor league game.  The parks are usually on the smaller side so you can get right next to the field.  You may even catch the up and coming star or a pro on a rehab start.

Talk in Boston is that Jon Lester is on the trading block.  The cardinals looks to be one of the teams interested...does that sound interesting to you Amanda?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:18 am »

.... but also look around for all the minor league options.

That's a great suggestion, and something I wouldn't have considered theDarkSide. Thanks :)
Yorkshire, England

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 09:41:07 am »
Mark, see if you can track down a copy of "Watching Baseball" by Jerry Remy. Having never played, or even watched much baseball when I was younger, it is a fantastic reference to the nuances in the game that you wouldn't know to look for otherwise. It definitely will help your baseball IQ, and make the game a lot more interesting to watch. I read it every year or two at the start of baseball season.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 05:08:51 am »
Hey erockrph - I can get it through Amazon pretty cheap. I will order one later today. Thanks for the heads up.
I caught most of the Sox vs Tigers game last night whilst enjoying a couple of homebrews :)

Edit - just ordered a copy for $5  8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:13:46 am by markpotts »
Yorkshire, England

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 06:17:27 am »
While we're on the subject, can someone please explain in easy to understand terms why a team would trade their best pitcher when the team is making a comeback run to the end of the season, ostensibly because it would cost money in another year or two.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 06:45:55 am »
While we're on the subject, can someone please explain in easy to understand terms why a team would trade their best pitcher when the team is making a comeback run to the end of the season, ostensibly because it would cost money in another year or two.
Because they have determined it to be more profitable. And they know from strikes and scandals that pissing off fans won't hurt the bottom line in the long run. The saddest part to me wasn't that he was the best pitcher but that he was their best pitcher AND came up through the system. I hate when teams make those moves, i remember being pissed that they didn't give Dwight Evans a contract for his final year.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:38 am »

Comeback run...ha ha ha....that's a good one.  Oh, you were serious?

Always have been and will be a Red Sox fan, but I think we can safely say this season is over.  I checked the standings to follow my 2nd team, the Cubs...doesn't look like their curse will be broken this year either.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 08:33:56 am »
BTW guys, thanks for Lackey!  ;D

I hope you all enjoy Joe Kelly's dance moves as much as we have. Also, Allen Craig is CLUTCH. Try not to give him too much crap for that whole obstruction call in Game 3 last year.  ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 10:59:40 am »
Because they have determined it to be more profitable. And they know from strikes and scandals that pissing off fans won't hurt the bottom line in the long run. The saddest part to me wasn't that he was the best pitcher but that he was their best pitcher AND came up through the system. I hate when teams make those moves, i remember being pissed that they didn't give Dwight Evans a contract for his final year.
As much as I hate to see the entire starting rotation go, I applaud the management for making some ballsy moves at the deadline. Lester is a free agent this year and the Red Sox are notorious for not overpaying to sign free agents that they brought up through their own system (see: Youkilis, Kevin and Ellsbury, Jacoby), unless they can structure a home-town discount contract extension (i.e., Pedroia, Dustin). At least they were able to get some value for what was left on Lester's contract. I like the Cespedes deal, as long as they find a way to shore up the rotation in the offseason.

My only regret is that I was hoping to get Lester to autograph my ticket stubs for his no-hitter and this year's 15K game before he left town. His no-hitter was the most amazing sports-related experience I've ever been a part of, and probably will be for the rest of my lifetime. I wish him all the best, and will always be a fan of his no matter what team he plays for (even if he ends up on the Yankees).
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 01:07:01 pm »
As much as I hate to see the entire starting rotation go, I applaud the management for making some ballsy moves at the deadline. Lester is a free agent this year and the Red Sox are notorious for not overpaying to sign free agents that they brought up through their own system (see: Youkilis, Kevin and Ellsbury, Jacoby), unless they can structure a home-town discount contract extension (i.e., Pedroia, Dustin). At least they were able to get some value for what was left on Lester's contract. I like the Cespedes deal, as long as they find a way to shore up the rotation in the offseason.

My only regret is that I was hoping to get Lester to autograph my ticket stubs for his no-hitter and this year's 15K game before he left town. His no-hitter was the most amazing sports-related experience I've ever been a part of, and probably will be for the rest of my lifetime. I wish him all the best, and will always be a fan of his no matter what team he plays for (even if he ends up on the Yankees).
Yea, its herd to argue with the success of their no long term contracts for 30 year olds. I don't pay attention to know if there are a lot of free agent starters this coming winter, that will be interesting. Hoping for a turnaround like 2013 next year.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »
Hoping for a turnaround like 2013 next year.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, aka glutton for punishment, I'd be happy if the ex-Sox wunderkind GM Theo Epstein would give us a turnaround at some point. Please.     ;)
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:07 pm »
Hoping for a turnaround like 2013 next year.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, aka glutton for punishment, I'd be happy if the ex-Sox wunderkind GM Theo Epstein would give us a turnaround at some point. Please.     ;)
Not sure what the Cubbies' farm system looks like, but IMO that was responsible for the majority of his success in Boston. That's going to take some time to develop if they didn't have a lot in place, especially in the post-Moneyball era where a lot more teams seem to be following a similar strategy nowadays.
Eric B.