Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baseball 2014  (Read 6679 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Baseball 2014
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2014, 10:03:00 am »
So the season is drawing rapidly to a close.
It would have been nice to see the Orioles take a win or two in what were some very tight games and keep their play off alive. The Royals defence looks a tough nut to crack though.
What's with this side arm pitching?? First time I've ever seen someone pitch like that last night.

I didn't see any of the Giants game last night (too late) .....but looking at the score, it seems they did pretty well to get the win having been a couple of runs down early on in the game.

What have you guys made of this season? Good or bad?
Are we going to see the best two teams of the season in the World Series?
Who's had the most outstanding season in your opinion??
Although I would always prefer that our Red Sox be there I was thrilled that KC and Baltimore get to the ALCS. They both had some great teams when I was growing up, the Orioles in the seventies (although I was real young for the great early seventies teams) and the Royals in the eighties. I remember some embarrassing performances by the slow power hitting Sox of the late seventies early eighties when playing the fleet footed royals on that damned turf.
As far as side-armed pitching goes two words: Dan Quisenberry
IMO the two best teams by definition get to the Word Series every year. (except when its the Yankees, they always cheat  ;D)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 10:42:59 am »
I really wanted to see the Pirates get to the Series and win. The ALCS series was a lot of fun to watch, although I was hoping it would go 7 games, rather then be a sweep. I think a Giants-Royals Series will be a good one. Assuming the Giants get there. I usually want the NL team to win, but it's been too long since the Royals have won it. I hope they win in 7 games with lots of extra innings.

As far as the rest of the season: it was a great one. Cubs were terrible, and I watched them a ton. The young guys coming up at the end of the season were fun to watch. I have high hopes that the Cubs will be a winning team next year. It's been awhile.
Kyle M.

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 11:21:42 am »
Offensive numbers were way, way down this year. Looked a lot like the presteroid era of the seventies, maybe it's time to lower the mound ;-).  As far as the best teams, no , the hottest teams are advancing. The Royals won 16 more games than they lost this year, yet are 8-0 in the playoffs- crazy. The Giants who look unstoppable as well, 9 other teams had as good or a better record than the Giants this year.  It appears the move to make it more difficult for a wildcard to advance has not worked.  There have been some great playoff games, and I hope they continue.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 11:22:28 am »
As far as National league goes, I'm always rooting for the Cubs.  And if the Red Sox aren't in the World Series, I want them to go all the way.  Unfortunately towards the end of the season, I know where to look in the standings to find the Cubs.  Maybe sacrifice a goat on opening day next year...

Well, the Red Sox are no longer AL Champs, but still World Champs (at least for a few more days).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 03:29:15 pm »
Pete, I will look up Quisenberry thanks. The side arm pitch looks very unbalanced to me and seems kind of difficult to hit the plate or put it where you want consistently. But it must come natural to these guys and I'm just a Brit on a learning curve.
I enjoyed watching Sonny Grey pitch early season, but he seemed to struggle latterly.
Bumgardner looks a class act and I like Hunter Pence's tenacity....but see earlier above Brit comment.
The San Francisco ball ground looks amazing  8)

Edit  - just had a look on YouTube, and Quisenberry looked pretty difficult to hit.....pitches looking over the plate and probably ending up a foot outside??
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:36:18 pm by markpotts »
Yorkshire, England

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2014, 04:07:53 pm »
As far as National league goes, I'm always rooting for the Cubs.  And if the Red Sox aren't in the World Series, I want them to go all the way.  Unfortunately towards the end of the season, I know where to look in the standings to find the Cubs.  Maybe sacrifice a goat on opening day next year...

Yeah, I've done the same thing but in reverse for a long time. I root for the Cubs primarily, but since we do know where to find them in the standings each year, I root based in reality for the Red Sox. Ok, I'm gonna say it now - Theo has done a good job building things up slowly from the minor league, grass roots level - the way that pays dividends for teams like the Sox and other yearly contenders. And the results started trickling up this year. Not gonna project them as division winners or playoff team next year, but I actually think they'll be.......gulp.......good.

Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »
Pete, I will look up Quisenberry thanks. The side arm pitch looks very unbalanced to me and seems kind of difficult to hit the plate or put it where you want consistently. But it must come natural to these guys and I'm just a Brit on a learning curve.
I enjoyed watching Sonny Grey pitch early season, but he seemed to struggle latterly.
Bumgardner looks a class act and I like Hunter Pence's tenacity....but see earlier above Brit comment.
The San Francisco ball ground looks amazing  8)

Edit  - just had a look on YouTube, and Quisenberry looked pretty difficult to hit.....pitches looking over the plate and probably ending up a foot outside??
Side arm pitchers are often used these days in very limited roles against batters of the same side armwise. In other words a right- handed side-armer will be brought in as a reliever to get out a right handed hitter in a tough situation. If you can picture it, a right handed batter has to kind of look over his shoulder to his left to see the release of the ball from the righty side-armer and the ball will travel quite a bit on a plane from near him to away from him. But back in the day Quisenberry would go a couple of innings against rightys and leftys. Lefty's can see the ball better from the release than a righty against a righty side-armer. Does that make sense?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.