Author Topic: Baseball 2014  (Read 2094 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball 2014
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
Hoping for a turnaround like 2013 next year.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, aka glutton for punishment, I'd be happy if the ex-Sox wunderkind GM Theo Epstein would give us a turnaround at some point. Please.     ;)
Not sure what the Cubbies' farm system looks like, but IMO that was responsible for the majority of his success in Boston. That's going to take some time to develop if they didn't have a lot in place, especially in the post-Moneyball era where a lot more teams seem to be following a similar strategy nowadays.

Cubs' system is supposed to be stocked with great prospects. It's still hard to get excited about prospects. Oy.
Kyle M.

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Hoping for a turnaround like 2013 next year.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, aka glutton for punishment, I'd be happy if the ex-Sox wunderkind GM Theo Epstein would give us a turnaround at some point. Please.     ;)
Not sure what the Cubbies' farm system looks like, but IMO that was responsible for the majority of his success in Boston. That's going to take some time to develop if they didn't have a lot in place, especially in the post-Moneyball era where a lot more teams seem to be following a similar strategy nowadays.

Cubs' system is supposed to be stocked with great prospects. It's still hard to get excited about prospects. Oy.

Wish I had a $ for every time I've been encouraged about their farm system over the years - I could upgrade my brewery pretty handsomely.   A recurring theme. But I do believe in what Theo can do, his instincts. And allegedly they are actually building some legit young talent.
 But I've become a realist Cubs fan over the years. Long gone is the "Next year will be better" mantra for me - it's total BS. It won't be better until they have the right people in place , from GM on down the line. I think there's reason to be encouraged though, just need to see it.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »

While we're on the subject, can someone please explain in easy to understand terms why a team would trade their best pitcher when the team is making a comeback run to the end of the season, ostensibly because it would cost money in another year or two.
Because they have determined it to be more profitable. And they know from strikes and scandals that pissing off fans won't hurt the bottom line in the long run. The saddest part to me wasn't that he was the best pitcher but that he was their best pitcher AND came up through the system. I hate when teams make those moves, i remember being pissed that they didn't give Dwight Evans a contract for his final year.
As much as I hate to see the entire starting rotation go, I applaud the management for making some ballsy moves at the deadline. Lester is a free agent this year and the Red Sox are notorious for not overpaying to sign free agents that they brought up through their own system (see: Youkilis, Kevin and Ellsbury, Jacoby), unless they can structure a home-town discount contract extension (i.e., Pedroia, Dustin). At least they were able to get some value for what was left on Lester's contract. I like the Cespedes deal, as long as they find a way to shore up the rotation in the offseason.

My only regret is that I was hoping to get Lester to autograph my ticket stubs for his no-hitter and this year's 15K game before he left town. His no-hitter was the most amazing sports-related experience I've ever been a part of, and probably will be for the rest of my lifetime. I wish him all the best, and will always be a fan of his no matter what team he plays for (even if he ends up on the Yankees).
I have never witnessed a perfect game: live or on tv. My greatest baseball memory will likely be Cabrera's solo triple play for the Indians a couple years ago. I say memorable, but I don't remember the year, don't know if he is still with the Tribe, and have not been to a game in at least the three years since I moved to greater Cincinnati. Go Reds(?)
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting:
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, Saison (w Belle Saison) on raspberries, Saison with 3724&3711
In Bottles: House IPA,German Pils w 830, German Pils w 833
In the works: Oktoberfest, Ballantine clone, Evil Twin, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
Asdrubal(?) Cabrera, I think
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting:
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, Saison (w Belle Saison) on raspberries, Saison with 3724&3711
In the works: Oktoberfest, Ballantine clone, Evil Twin, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »
Asdrubal(?) Cabrera, I think

He just got traded to the Nats. Nice move on Washington's part - they definitely look good coming into the thick of the pennant race.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
And the Indians got what, future prospects for next year or the year after, here we go again. I really miss Dick Jacobs as an owner
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting:

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 04:39:35 AM »
erockrph - many thanks for your suggestion on the book. It arrived on Friday and I've managed to get through a few pages.....already enjoying it and I'm sure it will help me understand the game better. Gerry Remy seems quite a character :D
Yorkshire, England

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »
erockrph - many thanks for your suggestion on the book. It arrived on Friday and I've managed to get through a few pages.....already enjoying it and I'm sure it will help me understand the game better. Gerry Remy seems quite a character :D

REM DAWG!!

Sergeant - BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 07:31:55 PM »

Character indeed. If you are able to watch any Red Sox games on the NESN network, I'd highly recommend you do (even if you're not a Sox fan). Jerry has a phenomenal baseball IQ, and he always seems to be having a lot of fun.
Eric B.

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 05:21:10 AM »
Character indeed. If you are able to watch any Red Sox games on the NESN network, I'd highly recommend you do (even if you're not a Sox fan). Jerry has a phenomenal baseball IQ, and he always seems to be having a lot of fun.

Especially when the game gets out of hand and boring...then they really have fun.
Sergeant - BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
A little warning: If you're not a New England homer, you won't be able to stand listening to a Red Sox broadcast.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »
A little warning: If you're not a New England homer, you won't be able to stand listening to a Red Sox broadcast.

I find that to be true of most team's announcers who are not your own. Although, I grew up in Chicagoland, I could never stand listening to Hawk Harrelson. My grandfather was a huge White Sox fan, so I listened to a lot of his games. Just couldn't ever become a fan.

However, there are some great ones who are always a treat. Unfortunately a lot of them are passing away. I listen to Vin Scully as often as possible these days.
Kyle M.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »

I find that to be true of most team's announcers who are not your own. Although, I grew up in Chicagoland, I could never stand listening to Hawk Harrelson. My grandfather was a huge White Sox fan, so I listened to a lot of his games. Just couldn't ever become a fan.
Hawk is insufferable. It's too bad, as Steve Stone is such a good analyst, but if I watch a Sox game, the sound is turned almost off.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »

However, there are some great ones who are always a treat. Unfortunately a lot of them are passing away. I listen to Vin Scully as often as possible these days.

I'll always take the local guys over the national ones (especially Tim McCarver - so glad he retired). With creative use of the DVR, you can often sync the TV broadcast with an online stream of one of the teams' local radio stations.
Eric B.

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
So the season is drawing rapidly to a close.
It would have been nice to see the Orioles take a win or two in what were some very tight games and keep their play off alive. The Royals defence looks a tough nut to crack though.
What's with this side arm pitching?? First time I've ever seen someone pitch like that last night.

I didn't see any of the Giants game last night (too late) .....but looking at the score, it seems they did pretty well to get the win having been a couple of runs down early on in the game.

What have you guys made of this season? Good or bad?
Are we going to see the best two teams of the season in the World Series?
Who's had the most outstanding season in your opinion??

Yorkshire, England