Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ah ha moment  (Read 3321 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Ah ha moment
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 09:58:53 am »
I'm with you, Keith. Far too many homebrews in competition have an overly 'wet' finish that fails to dry. Excessive crystal use and too high mashing temperatures seem to be endemic in the homebrew mindset. When a brewer first mentioned that he mashed at low temperatures like you do, I thought he was crazy. I've since found that mashing at lower temperatures like that are the way to go. Brewers need to understand that they don't have to make beer the crystal/high temp way. You make cleaner, more drinkable beers by avoiding that method. It also allows you to use less bittering since the beer dries out better and doesn't need a ton of bittering to balance. 

+2. I totally agree.  Under attenuated beer is just not as drinkable. +1 to low mash temps and low crystal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:24:16 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 02:34:06 am »
So, I think it was comparison palate fatigue. I just poured another glass, first beer of the night, and it's fine. I'd probably like it better a bit drier, but it's not neatly as sweetly perceived as it was following two hop bombs last night. Either way, I'm cutting the specialty grains next time. I think I'll drop the carared.

10# golden promise
6 oz C40
6 oz C80
3 oz 300L chocolate
30g EKG
WY1084 @ 62°

I'll throw this in once I step up my current 55° beers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:35:50 am by klickitat jim »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 06:37:35 am »
Crystal malt still a little high IMO but to each his own. The one other thing I'll say about cara red is it is not what was providing you with the cloying "sweetness" (or wetness as Martin was calling it, I like that). I use cara red in a couple recipes and it doesn't cause a high FG of the beer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:40:42 am by majorvices »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:37 am »
I'm still tracking what your saying about carared. If it was a crystal, at two pounds it would be aweful.

Maybe I'll cut some more and go with 4 oz each of c40 and 80.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 07:09:01 am »
So, I think it was comparison palate fatigue. I just poured another glass, first beer of the night, and it's fine. I'd probably like it better a bit drier, but it's not neatly as sweetly perceived as it was following two hop bombs last night. Either way, I'm cutting the specialty grains next time. I think I'll drop the carared.
Your west coast palette probably can't handle strong malt flavors.  ;D
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 07:16:27 am »
I probably deserve that. Can't get Genesee out here.

Oooooooh! :-o

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 09:34:58 am »
If your beer is too sweet, you didn't add enough hops.  I use much larger amounts of crystal and carared than many think is "correct", but I guarantee ya that my beers aren't sweet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 07:18:49 pm »
Thanks Denny. I think this beer turned out fine. SWMBO says its not sweet, I'd like it a bit drier on the finish. My first tasting of it was after two hop bombs and made it seem to sweet to me. I'd call it medium now.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:45 am »
My first tasting of it was after two hop bombs and made it seem to sweet to me. I'd call it medium now.

Let that be a lesson to you, Sonny. //shakes fist//
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 02:12:52 pm »
Right, don't blow out palate then try out new beer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
Right, don't blow out palate then try out judge new beer

;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »
If your beer is too sweet, you didn't add enough hops.  I use much larger amounts of crystal and carared than many think is "correct", but I guarantee ya that my beers aren't sweet.

Right - the Waldo Lake Amber uses 2 lb of Carared, and I've never perceived it as sweet.  That's an amazing beer.  Great malt complexity - really nice malt aroma!   :D  If you're trying to use up some Carared, do yourself a favor and brew that recipe.