Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just Add Water  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
Just Add Water
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:41:26 pm »
I just came across this during one of those idle sessions of following links. They had a booth at the London Bike Show, of all places! The price is 29.95 in British pounds (I can't find the symbol for pounds right now).

Real Ale at home does not get any easier than this!

Turn water into traditional Real Ale using the Moonshine brewing bag. To repeat Water is all you add into our unique, patented system to brew pint after pint of genuine Real Ale.

Two years in development with academic partners (Nottingham Trent University and Nottingham University) has resulted in our superb new system. The bag itself contains virtually all you need; just pour in 23 pints of tap water, add the contents of the enclosed sachet of ‘Moondust’ and leave for two weeks.

The result is 25 pints of Real Ale.

No more expensive, cumbersome equipment (which often ends up in the attic), just a bag of Moonshine, water and ten minutes of your time.

http://www.moonshinedrinks.co.uk/

Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Just Add Water
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:01 pm »
That looks like something I'd try just for giggles. That "Moondust" must be some wacky kind of yeast man...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »
Wow.  And why not?  that is sure going to be bad news for the couple of 'brewing appliances' being developed.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:00 pm »
The implications though. Where does all the co2 go? Presumably it is contained? ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:33:23 pm »
Naturally carbonated.  Like bottle conditioned.  Emphasis on the 'Live Beer' statement which would garner some important support in England and beyond.  I really like the idea.  This would be so easy to start a business doing its laughable.  LME, hop extract, and a packet of dry yeast in a bag.  Genius.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:16:25 pm »
When I turned 21 (all so many years ago) I was given a "Beer In A Bag". Just add hot water. I don't recall if there was a yeast packet or not. Shake, store, serve. For what it was I remember it not being too bad. The first third was nicely carbonated and the rest just went down hill from there.
I must say that it gave me the start to home brewing. It just took me a few years to jump all in.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:51 pm »
Not sure if I'd add the water and wait just to see, or slice it open with a knife to see what's in there.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:47:48 pm »
That is taking Brew in a Bag to its ultimate level!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »
When I turned 21 (all so many years ago) I was given a "Beer In A Bag". Just add hot water. I don't recall if there was a yeast packet or not. Shake, store, serve. For what it was I remember it not being too bad. The first third was nicely carbonated and the rest just went down hill from there.
I must say that it gave me the start to home brewing. It just took me a few years to jump all in.
Ha... This is how I started out too, about 20 years ago. The results were terrible, but the science of it all was intriguing enough to have me hooked.
Mark Gres