Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Governing Committee of AHA Forumites - Who's Running  (Read 7307 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Governing Committee of AHA Forumites - Who's Running
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »
Dkflick, good thing you dodged the bullet of being interviewed by JZ. Your user name would have derailed the whole show from the beginning
It's actually even worse as it actually is sans the 'L'. Lol. German exchange students always enjoyed my last name...
When I was in Germany, another engineer with the last name of Fickes traveled over for a series of meetings. Much hilarity ensued.
Haha yeah I can imagine. The joys of having names with alternative meanings... lol
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
I guess it's my immature humor meets my dyslexia lol

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 07:51:49 am »
To tell ya the truth, it makes no difference to me what a GC candidate does in "real life".  It's not like an IT person on the GC is gonna do any IT work for the AHA, although an understanding might be helpful.  For GC candidates, I look for commitment to the hobby and the people who practice it, not to mention an indication of a personality that fits in well when working with a group.
You know I mostly agree. And I wouldn't want a bunch of techy IT people on the GC because IT system design should generally be guided by non-IT people (because they will be used by non-IT people). But that's just a minor consideration anyway.

As far as commitment to the hobby and those who practice it, certainly, but man the field is full of qualified people this year.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 08:19:25 am »
I gotta say I disagree with that.  The worst managers I've ever had have been non-technical.  You really need to have some idea how things work to properly guide a project along the right path.  Not that any of that applies to the GC.... Just my 2 cents on non-technical people managing software projects.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 08:33:02 am »
I gotta say I disagree with that.  The worst managers I've ever had have been non-technical.  You really need to have some idea how things work to properly guide a project along the right path.  Not that any of that applies to the GC.... Just my 2 cents on non-technical people managing software projects.

A non technical manager is fine as long as they understand that while they can guide the design of the interface and the feel of the project they have to leave the guts up to the tech lead.

The non-technical manager says "This is what it should look like and what it should do" and trust that her choice of tech lead was correct and they will be able to create a plan to make that happen in an efficient way.

It's been an odd experience this year for me because I moved from that tech lead position to a more high level lead and I have had to learn how to let go of the "how" and trust my programmers.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:54 am »
I agree IT project managers should be technical. I'm just saying successful project managers should rely heavily on non-technical input when making design decisions. Technical capability needs to meet end user needs - not the other way around. If it doesn't meet end user needs, the final product is in danger of failing.

Anyway, way to get us off topic Jimmy.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 09:50:00 am »
I'm not on the list, but my infinitely more qualified wife is! (Roxanne Westendorf)

I know Denny doesn't care what a candidates real job is, but I'll make my pitch that Roxanne's deep background in consumer research has totally changed the way the AHA, and to a lesser extent the BA, conducts it's member polls. That's producing real changes in member service. That's all the promotion I'll do, I promise!

Ya know, Rob, at least in Roxanne's case her real life job does make a difference.  Her expertise has really helped the GC find a focus on a lot of issues.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 09:56:34 am »
I can vouch for Craig Hendry. He was a founder of Mississippi's Raise Your Pints and is now president. In Craig's first year as president he decided it was time to lift our home brew ban and he got it done. He has done a lot more than that for our hobby (check out his bio.)

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:33 am »

Ya know, Rob, at least in Roxanne's case her real life job does make a difference.  Her expertise has really helped the GC find a focus on a lot of issues.

Her old job, that is. She took early retirement. :)  For this group, it means she is spending more time on AHA and BJCP stuff.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 10:35:00 am »

Early retirement rocks!
Her old job, that is. She took early retirement. :)  For this group, it means she is spending more time on AHA and BJCP stuff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 10:40:15 am »
Wow...how time flies. Election time is here once again.

What a great group of candidates that we have this year. I know over half of the candidates personally which presents an advantage over those that I don't know. However, I recommend taking the time to browse through all of the candidate statements and making your vote based on their experience, desire, passion for the hobby and noteworthy achievements just to name a few. It's a challenge to get through all of the bios, but please take the time to do so before you vote. This will give every candidate a fair shot at winning.

I wish all of the candidates the best of luck this election, and may the best men and women win!  :)
Ron Price

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:58 pm »
I'll say it time and time again... why not Drew? (Vote for your vice chairman today and your beer will improve!) :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 01:55:08 am »
I've worked for everyone most of my life. It's not that easy. Leading has not as much to do with how you lead as it does how awesome the followers are. In this situation I'd expect listeners who know how to decide would be better than experts who know their right. In any event, whoever wins,,, thank you in advance for keeping this alive.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 07:24:27 am »
I've worked for everyone most of my life. It's not that easy. Leading has not as much to do with how you lead as it does how awesome the followers are. In this situation I'd expect listeners who know how to decide would be better than experts who know their right. In any event, whoever wins,,, thank you in advance for keeping this alive.

This is more or less exactly how I have come to see the role of a leader; to know the strengths of his team members and let them use those strengths in the way that it's best for reaching the goal at hand
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Colin Presby

• 1st Kit
  • Colin Presby
    • Presby for AHA Governing Committee
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 07:22:41 pm »
Okay, I'm not much of a forumite, but I'm on the ballot and figured I should say hi. I posted a "Brewer Bio" in that forum a few weeks ago and you can take a more in-depth look at my campaign efforts and platform stances at PresbyforAHA.com. Best of luck to all candidates!

Cheers,
Colin