Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: excited newbie  (Read 7123 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: excited newbie
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:21 am »
Welcome blazer7... to one of the best brewing forums on the planet!

Hope you enjoy the ride.  :)

Uhhum ... One of the best?

Okay...okay...the best by MY measure for sure.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »
Wow!  Thanx everyone for the welcomes comments and suggestions!!!  1st off growing up jut outside of Chicago, GO CUBS. And next. I just bought my plastic fermenters paddle etc etc. pretty sure Monday is first brew day!!!

Stand by for new post and I'm sure questions!!

Thank again everyone !!!!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:24 pm »
Hi blazer7
I'm new to this forum, and it seems great. I'm not so new to brewing, been doing it for 4 years and making mead longer and my girlfriend has been a mead maker for 20 years. One thing no one has mentioned yet: take lots of notes. I have old fashioned notebooks and just do a new page for each brew. Keep track of ingredients, times temp, gravities: everything. I have never regretted writing too much but have regretted forgetting to write something down when recreating a favorite. Don't forget to write tasting notes when you try it and ideas for improvements. Also, its fun to buy a good example of the type of beer you are making and drink it on brew day and beyond so you have a good comparison when done.

Don't get stressed about sanitation, its easy. Clean everything well when your done and sanitation is a snap when your brewing/ bottling. The crucial point is when you are transferring cooled wort into the fermenter and pitching yeast. Other than that your dealing with boiling liquid and alcohol so, for the most part, no worries!

And as a Red Sox fan, the longer the wait, the sweeter the victory!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 08:05:02 pm »
Hi blazer7
I'm new to this forum, and it seems great. I'm not so new to brewing, been doing it for 4 years and making mead longer and my girlfriend has been a mead maker for 20 years. One thing no one has mentioned yet: take lots of notes. I have old fashioned notebooks and just do a new page for each brew. Keep track of ingredients, times temp, gravities: everything. I have never regretted writing too much but have regretted forgetting to write something down when recreating a favorite. Don't forget to write tasting notes when you try it and ideas for improvements. Also, its fun to buy a good example of the type of beer you are making and drink it on brew day and beyond so you have a good comparison when done.

Don't get stressed about sanitation, its easy. Clean everything well when your done and sanitation is a snap when your brewing/ bottling. The crucial point is when you are transferring cooled wort into the fermenter and pitching yeast. Other than that your dealing with boiling liquid and alcohol so, for the most part, no worries!

And as a Red Sox fan, the longer the wait, the sweeter the victory!

+a bunch!

Yeah... Hard to believe no one mentioned notes. I too use an old fashioned notebook. I get one once a year, and I get one that will hold up like a Five Star... I want it to last forever. At first, take notes on every detail whether it's big or small. It will train you to make great observations of your brew day.

Like just mentioned about stressing over sanitation... Don't stress over anything... You're making beer! How much better can it get?
Frank