Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Lottery Limbo  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
NHC Lottery Limbo
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »
I know the plan is to notify entrants not picked in the lottery next week, after selecting some of them to fill unpaid spots. I think this plan is causing a bit of stress by leaving some contestants in limbo. They know emails have gone out, they don't know if they all went out, and they're being left to slooooowly come to the realization that they didn't get in.

I think it would be better/kinder/more humane to let the unlucky ones know for sure what their status is. They can be reminded that they might get another chance if some don't pay. It won't make the news better, but at least they won't be left in agony wondering.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC Lottery Limbo
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:19:07 pm »
Agreed.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »
I know the plan is to notify entrants not picked in the lottery next week, after selecting some of them to fill unpaid spots. I think this plan is causing a bit of stress by leaving some contestants in limbo. They know emails have gone out, they don't know if they all went out, and they're being left to slooooowly come to the realization that they didn't get in.

I think it would be better/kinder/more humane to let the unlucky ones know for sure what their status is. They can be reminded that they might get another chance if some don't pay. It won't make the news better, but at least they won't be left in agony wondering.

If that is feasible on the AHA side of things I think that's an excellent idea. However, not being on the inside it's hard to say what is feasible. I'd be interested to hear what someone at the AHA has to say.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:10:31 am »
If they log into www.brewingcompetition.com with their email and aha number and don't get in or see anything, I think it's safe to say they didn't get in this first go around.  Doesn't easy the pain but at least they are not wondering if their email got lost somewhere along the way.

I assume if there are some that don't pay and they start filling those, the entries would show up on their login.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:29 am »
If they log into www.brewingcompetition.com with their email and aha number and don't get in or see anything, I think it's safe to say they didn't get in this first go around.  Doesn't easy the pain but at least they are not wondering if their email got lost somewhere along the way.

I assume if there are some that don't pay and they start filling those, the entries would show up on their login.
Yeah, if you lost the lottery and try to log in, it says your email is not recognized. Not really the most decisive answer. I'm more concerned about bad PR for AHA by not communicating with some unlucky members. I think they'll feel left out and that AHA doesn't care. (And I know that's not at all true).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:18:04 am »
I still wish we could have gotten everyone in...   :-\

...but I can only feel so bad when there are four regions with empty slots left.

Seems like the message is:  If you want this bad enough, you'll ship anywhere.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:37 am »
Yeah, if you lost the lottery and try to log in, it says your email is not recognized. Not really the most decisive answer. I'm more concerned about bad PR for AHA by not communicating with some unlucky members. I think they'll feel left out and that AHA doesn't care. (And I know that's not at all true).

I see your point.  I guess it wouldn't be hard to send out an email to the 7% who didn't get in and tell them to watch in case spots open up. 

Today is a cutoff for the first day's emails so hopefully you'll get some good news soon.  I'm sure some spots are going to open up.

...but I can only feel so bad when there are four regions with empty slots left.

I included every region but the West Coast.  Luckily I got in my primary location.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:16:56 am »
I believe the wait is to see who doesn't register and pay for their entries. Once that number is figured out I think they may be sweeping back through to say: "Didn't get in on the first pass - now's your chance" to the next group. Hence, no notification until they know for certain that you're not getting in.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:01:59 pm »
I believe the wait is to see who doesn't register and pay for their entries. Once that number is figured out I think they may be sweeping back through to say: "Didn't get in on the first pass - now's your chance" to the next group. Hence, no notification until they know for certain that you're not getting in.
Yes, open slots will be filled next week. I'm just saying that not communicating is going to make those members feel left in the dark. Causing some stress that AHA is specifically trying to avoid.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:24 pm »

I did not know that. I wonder how many would enter anywhere knowing now that they didn't get in. A lot I bet.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:21 pm »

Today is a cutoff for the first day's emails so hopefully you'll get some good news soon. 
I'm in since I judged last year. I know some that aren't though.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »

I did not know that. I wonder how many would enter anywhere knowing now that they didn't get in. A lot I bet.

perhaps, but it was made pretty clear in the instructions for the registration. and again on the registration page itself it specified that selecting more alternate sites would likely improve your chances of being selected.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 12:45:50 pm »

Yes, open slots will be filled next week. I'm just saying that not communicating is going to make those members feel left in the dark. Causing some stress that AHA is specifically trying to avoid.

If there's one thing that I've been saying again and again is that there needs to be more open communication when things are happening. The org used to be very tight lipped and play its cards close to the vest. I think the repeated 'be clear' is working as the messaging has gotten more transparent. It ain't perfect, but what is?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:37 pm »
I agree with what is being said here. It maybe would of been better to send a rejection email to those that didn't get in first with a note that they are still in the running if other people drop out.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 07:38:40 pm »
In my opinion most of the stress is because we're excited. I think it will all work out and the lessons learned will be learned. I'm still very grateful for all these guys do!