Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Lottery Limbo  (Read 6015 times)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Re: NHC Lottery Limbo
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 09:44:22 pm »
I will try not to get too pissy yet....the site said they have until the 19th to notify everyone.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:45:14 am »
As one of the people waiting to see if I get in or not, I have a few suggestions for future iterations of the lottery system.

(First off, I would like to say that I respect the difficult position of setting up a fair competition, and very much appreciate the many hours of consideration that went into creating the system we have in place this year.  If we were still running under the system we had in place two years ago, NO ONE would be happy!  What we have today is a vast improvement on where we would have been sitting without the many hours of effort and thought put in by our board members and competition organizers.  THANK YOU! )

Some thoughts on beneficial tweaks for future competitions...

1.)  As a an AHA member, one of the stated "benefits" is being able to participate in the National Homebrew Competition.  At this time, I appear to be one of the 200 some members that are not being extended this benefit. 

2.) In my entry, I listed that I would be willing to ship ANYWHERE, and I see that a number of entry sites are not at full capacity.  (Gary and Janis, thanks for the transparency on the process that was followed, it is appreciated, and helpful in allowing beneficial discussions on how to further improve the system).  I am confused that with the stated system, why I did not receive an entry position?  I would have thought by being flexible in where I shipped, I would not have been excluded unless all the entry sites we within 4 or less of being filled up.

3.) As has been stated elsewhere, the wisdom of allowing some members four entries, and some members none... seems counter intuitive.    I would be more supportive of a system that increments up the number of beers that can be entered by ALL entrants  (lottery system put in place like this year to govern what location your beers get entered), and then a second lottery to fill up any spaces left.  In other words, everyone this year would get to enter three beers, and then the remaining sites with space, go up for lottery.  What was done this year was not bad, but I am in the camp that would like to see everyone have at least one shot. 

4.) Lets start this whole process a few months earlier.  Some frustration I have felt on this process, is that I cannot execute beers for the competition now as we drift to less than 4 weeks until shipping time.  A big part of getting the best examples of beer to the competition is scheduling them to be at their prime at the right time...   Doing this lottery process by December (or November if December is too busy) would allow for a much higher quality, and larger variety of beers to be entered.  (The process for getting 6 beers ready at the right time is very different than getting ready!)

5.) PLEASE PELASE Send out notification E-mails to those that are in limbo next time.  Just something stating that you are not necessarily "out" but an acknowledgement that we are in limbo and thank/ask us for patience while the system plays out.   The personal touch goes a long way to sooth disappointment, and it helps to feel included in the process.  (having to piece together my status from reading the update on the website had me fuming for a day or two... even more so than being in limbo)

Overall, I think the system put in place this year is a VERY GOOD system put in place by the AHA, and I look forward to the continued discussion and evolution over the next year.  I know "the ship has sailed" on how this years competition will be executed, but I look forward to the discussions over the next year that will further improve the competition experience.      Thanks again to all involved!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 07:56:01 am »
5.) PLEASE PELASE Send out notification E-mails to those that are in limbo next time.  Just something stating that you are not necessarily "out" but an acknowledgement that we are in limbo and thank/ask us for patience while the system plays out.   The personal touch goes a long way to sooth disappointment, and it helps to feel included in the process.  (having to piece together my status from reading the update on the website had me fuming for a day or two... even more so than being in limbo)
Thanks  - This is exactly my point!

2.) In my entry, I listed that I would be willing to ship ANYWHERE, and I see that a number of entry sites are not at full capacity.  (Gary and Janis, thanks for the transparency on the process that was followed, it is appreciated, and helpful in allowing beneficial discussions on how to further improve the system).  I am confused that with the stated system, why I did not receive an entry position?  I would have thought by being flexible in where I shipped, I would not have been excluded unless all the entry sites we within 4 or less of being filled up.

Now this has me baffled too. I thought sites were not filled because not enough contestants were willing to send entries to them.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:03 am »
Great post by wingnut.

I especially agree with #4, and am mystified by #2.  Everyone I know that put Kansas City as "would ship" got in.  There's still 143 empty spots if I remember correctly.

We know who volunteered by June.  We know the approximate level of interest.  Let's have this lottery way in advance.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:38 am »
Good suggestions for sure.

On your question number 2 just to be totally sure did you actually select each alternate shipping center from the list our simply enter 'anywhere' on the form? I'm just truing to be sure. If you did indeed select every judging site as acceptable I agree that it seems like something went wrong there.

On your question about the limit selected, I thought the response from the aha on why they ended up at 4 made alot of sense, it allowed for the maximum number of entrants access while still balancing the judging sites work load.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:39:25 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 10:53:44 am »
Thanks  - This is exactly my point!

Jimmy,

I think Drew was also eluding to the fact that solid communication is fundamental to alleviating any misunderstandings. The AHA GC is putting more and more emphasis on better/great communication. We want to keep everyone abreast of the changes that occur and will occur ahead of time. We are working to achieve more and more transparency within the org. This is what's good for us!
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
There was not favoritism in the general lottery. A guy in our club who has an NHC Gold Medal is waiting to hear if he gets in. Just had to say that, as there were some in our club who entered a competition for the first time and got in, and someone who has been there and done that is waiting. It was a lottery.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 04:50:10 pm »
I wonder how many people either did not get an email or the email went into a spam or promotional box. But they were actually selected in the lottery, and didn't know it, waited patiently until time expired, and now they can't get in next year either.

I didn't get my email till a day after I had already logged in and paid.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 04:55:03 pm »
I wonder how many people either did not get an email or the email went into a spam or promotional box. But they were actually selected in the lottery, and didn't know it, waited patiently until time expired, and now they can't get in next year either.

I didn't get my email till a day after I had already logged in and paid.
Explain next year to me?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »
I read in the rules that if you win a lottery slot but fail to pay you are out next year.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 05:53:36 pm »
I read in the rules that if you win a lottery slot but fail to pay you are out next year.
I think it said 'may' be out next year.

Hopefully not a big deal. If this email were sent to spam, they wouldn't be getting any AHA emails.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:55:37 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:33 pm »
Um, I forget who it was, maybe James or Pinski, but theirs went to gmail promotional folder.

My aha emails randomly go to inbox or spam or promotional box (gmail)

By the way, I would not consider this to be aha fault.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 07:10:35 pm »

OK, I got that it can act as a deterrent to those that are not serious, and waste time and slots. No problem with that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 11:12:30 am »
There was not favoritism in the general lottery. A guy in our club who has an NHC Gold Medal is waiting to hear if he gets in. Just had to say that, as there were some in our club who entered a competition for the first time and got in, and someone who has been there and done that is waiting. It was a lottery.
The guy in the club in was talking about, today sent to the list that he is in for the St. Paul first round site. Looks like they are working through the entry lists and assigning to sites with openings.

Just though I would let folks know.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:15 am »
AHA, I would like to request a piece of data when this is all over:

of the total of 3500+, how many entrants put each of the 12 regions down as their first choice?  basically, a list of 1-12 with associated number of entrants.

thank you--
--Michael