Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA  (Read 4378 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Black IPA
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:15 pm »
It'll come out good anyway. Hot scotchy is pretty tasty, huh?  I'm brewing in the a.m., so I'll be having one.

Not too shabby. It is definitely better hot. As it cooled, it wasn't as good. This will become a regular practice at Mader Brew Works... At least in the winter months anyways.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »
Ok... Just tapped this keg... This is one dandy brew! This hop combination is stellar! It's certainly hop forward with a touch if roastedness sneaking in in the back end if it. One thing that I did that might not have been necessary was add an ounce each of Simcoe and galaxy to the keg. I mean, it's just more aroma, so it's not going to kill anybody lol. Definitely a rebrew!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:36 pm »
I thought it looked good !
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:20:34 pm »
Man that sounds good!

How black is it? It seems that I have to use close to 3/4# of carafa III or midnight wheat to get mine dark enough...in addition to crystal 60.

EDIT: Forget it. I see that you have 14 oz in there...probably plenty dark enough.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »

It's about this black lol. It's black as night. I was worried it wouldn't be dark enough when I poured the first pint. It was milky brown, but that was just the sediment in the keg. We're good now. I actually thought about entering this into the NHC, but I don't have time in the spring for a rebrew... Or at least it would have been tight with everything I got going on.
Frank

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:08 pm »
looks solid frank!  I just did a black rye double ipa that is currently chilling and carbonating.  hope it looks that good!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:41 am »
looks solid frank!  I just did a black rye double ipa that is currently chilling and carbonating.  hope it looks that good!

Thanks... I'm sure yours will be as good if not better, Paul.
Frank