Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Craft Beer and Alcoholism  (Read 18390 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Craft Beer and Alcoholism
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »
We need some trends. But not laws, just trends. 1. Lower abv and lower IBU more available. 2. Smaller glasses at smaller prices.

Hmm, my biggest beer is 1.050 and bitterest is under 50 IBU. And I have some 8 oz disposable cups... trend started!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 02:09:45 pm »
Thought of another thing that bugs me alittle... I don't like when breweries or craft beer bars don't sell half pints.  I really do enjoy a half pint much more than a pint typically.  Mainly because I had have more variety.

Same here. I like to sample several more than have a huge quantity of any one, regardless of how good.

I agree, but while breweries want you to drink responsibly, most want your money more.  If they can squeeze an extra $3-$4 out of you (think 4 - 8oz pours in a sitting versus 3 pints cause you're probably likely to stop at 4 tastes but not at 2) then thats more revenue and profit. 

remember guys, its a business.  people are paying ridiculous premiums for high gravity.  it takes about the same amount of time to brew a mild as it does a 9% IIPA.  demand is for high gravity and high gravity equals higher profit and better labor utilization. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:57 pm »
...while breweries want you to drink responsibly, most want your money more.  If they can squeeze an extra $3-$4 out of you (think 4 - 8oz pours in a sitting versus 3 pints cause you're probably likely to stop at 4 tastes but not at 2) then thats more revenue and profit. 

remember guys, its a business.  people are paying ridiculous premiums for high gravity.  it takes about the same amount of time to brew a mild as it does a 9% IIPA.  demand is for high gravity and high gravity equals higher profit and better labor utilization.

I totally agree on all points made. 
Very well stated, Paul.

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:56 pm »
I really liked Burlington, VT. Half pints for about half price everywhere. I hear Greg Noonan was really into promoting responsible drinking and probably influenced that.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 02:59:36 pm »
Thought of another thing that bugs me alittle... I don't like when breweries or craft beer bars don't sell half pints.  I really do enjoy a half pint much more than a pint typically.  Mainly because I had have more variety.

Proud to say sell Pints and Half Pints and we don't sell high gravity beers (over 8%) in full pints - halves only. Call me responsible. The last thing I want on my conscience to be responsible for a drunk driving death.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 03:06:49 pm »
we don't sell high gravity beers (over 8%) in full pints - halves only.

This I have no problem with.  But it should be disclosed when you order.  I'm often a little frosty when I order a beer, it's pricey, and it comes in a tiny snifter.

If you tell me upfront, that's OK.  Some places list in on the menu, others do not.  I've had the server tell me, too, but sometimes it's a total surprise.  Well, not really a surprise as I've come to expect it.  But it should be disclosed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24:32 pm »

This I have no problem with.  But it should be disclosed when you order.  I'm often a little frosty when I order a beer, it's pricey, and it comes in a tiny snifter.

If you tell me upfront, that's OK.  Some places list in on the menu, others do not.  I've had the server tell me, too, but sometimes it's a total surprise.  Well, not really a surprise as I've come to expect it.  But it should be disclosed.

Well, if you can't read a board that's a "you" problem.

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
I really liked Burlington, VT. Half pints for about half price everywhere. I hear Greg Noonan was really into promoting responsible drinking and probably influenced that.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I live in the Burlington area have gotten used to being able to order half pints or half beers (half of the serving size whether that is 16, 12, or 8oz).  When I travel I always seek out a good beer bar and I have not found one yet where I could get a half serving outside VT  >:(

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »

Same here. I like to sample several more than have a huge quantity of any one, regardless of how good.

I agree, but while breweries want you to drink responsibly, most want your money more.  If they can squeeze an extra $3-$4 out of you (think 4 - 8oz pours in a sitting versus 3 pints cause you're probably likely to stop at 4 tastes but not at 2) then thats more revenue and profit. 

You're totally right, no arguments. Most nights I go out for pints, but sometimes it's nice to have the option for halves.  No misconceptions about profit motives ever, though.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:28 pm »
I acquired a half-pint nonic glass once along the way. It was perhaps a ladies' glass but I could go all day drinking out of that cup. It got broken. :(

Went to a brew pub last weekend and it had prices and ABV on the board and menu. Would have preferred a half pint option.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 07:46:59 pm »
Me and my girlfriend were talking about this just last night. It's a great idea. Russian River does it, and that's super awesome. Some people, like her, have a lower tolerance and don't want a full pint all the time. And for those of us that do have a higher tolerance, it's nice too to experience different kinds without having to get a flight. 8 ounces of beer is about the right amount to get a full experience on a beer, I think. Flights don't give you enough for that experience.
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 07:50:20 pm »
Seems to me any place I've ever requested a glass rather than a pint, that's what I was served and appropriately charged whether the size/price option was posted or not.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59:03 pm »
I don't see how half pints would cut into profits. I fully to expect to pay a little over 1/2 the price of a full pint of beer when I get a half pint.  I realize there are extra glasses to be cleaned and fills for the bartenders to pour. I really don't mind paying a little more per oz. Some places get downright offended if you ask for a half pint though.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »
I don't see how half pints would cut into profits. I fully to expect to pay a little over 1/2 the price of a full pint of beer when I get a half pint.  I realize there are extra glasses to be cleaned and fills for the bartenders to pour. I really don't mind paying a little more per oz. Some places get downright offended if you ask for a half pint though.
Yes they do. I had a manager at a local brewery get pissed at me because I asked for a half fill on my mug, for which I am a mug club member of their brewery. I couldn't believe it...why is it such a big deal? It turned me off a bit and I don't go to the brewery so much anymore. It's sad. He was being a dick about it.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »

Well, if you can't read a board that's a "you" problem.

??

If it's on the board that would seem to address my point about disclosing the serving size. Not all places do so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton