Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Craft Beer and Alcoholism  (Read 18394 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Craft Beer and Alcoholism
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2014, 08:43:47 pm »
we don't sell high gravity beers (over 8%) in full pints - halves only.

This I have no problem with.  But it should be disclosed when you order.  I'm often a little frosty when I order a beer, it's pricey, and it comes in a tiny snifter.

If you tell me upfront, that's OK.  Some places list in on the menu, others do not.  I've had the server tell me, too, but sometimes it's a total surprise.  Well, not really a surprise as I've come to expect it.  But it should be disclosed.

Well, if you can't read a board that's a "you" problem.

??

If it's on the board that would seem to address my point about disclosing the serving size. Not all places do so.

Sorry. Stressful day and came out snarkier than I meant. I agree with you. We have it on the board and bartender specifically told to tell people that when they order it. Can't understand why all places wouldn't do that. At least pit it on the board.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:38 pm »
No worries. Grab a glass of eagle rare and relax.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »
I don't see how half pints would cut into profits. I fully to expect to pay a little over 1/2 the price of a full pint of beer when I get a half pint.  I realize there are extra glasses to be cleaned and fills for the bartenders to pour. I really don't mind paying a little more per oz. Some places get downright offended if you ask for a half pint though.
Yes they do. I had a manager at a local brewery get pissed at me because I asked for a half fill on my mug, for which I am a mug club member of their brewery. I couldn't believe it...why is it such a big deal? It turned me off a bit and I don't go to the brewery so much anymore. It's sad. He was being a dick about it.

That's bullshark. It's amazing what a foreign concept customer service is to some folks.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2014, 11:02:49 pm »
One of my favorite trends that I wish would expand more is the "taster flight". A few good beer places near me do the thing where it's an "assemble your own taste panel" and you can throw together four 4-6 oz glasses of beer for a reasonable price per. Yes, the flight is more expensive than if you ordered straight up, but I like the chance to spend the "beer bullets" between multiple beers and see what I really like.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2014, 02:02:10 am »
Right! Walking Man does a 4 oz of each, taster tray. Its fun to watch the "life of the party" guy try to tackle it solo while his entourage looks at him like he's a fool. The smart way is to share it as a group and share opinions.  Maybe share some immune system builders too LOL. It seems cooler if it's not all dudes, trust me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2014, 08:04:56 am »
One of my favorite trends that I wish would expand more is the "taster flight". A few good beer places near me do the thing where it's an "assemble your own taste panel" and you can throw together four 4-6 oz glasses of beer for a reasonable price per. Yes, the flight is more expensive than if you ordered straight up, but I like the chance to spend the "beer bullets" between multiple beers and see what I really like.

+1.  I like to do that the first time I go to a brewpub, to get a feel for what the place is all about. If beers are all ordinary, we'll finish the flight and try someplace else.
Jon H.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 08:36:39 am »
One of the things I love about pubs in England is that you can order a half of anything on tap, even if a price isn't listed. I believe it's required by law, but I'd have to go look that up.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Craft Beer and Alcoholism
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2014, 08:39:23 am »
One of the things I love about pubs in England is that you can order a half of anything on tap, even if a price isn't listed. I believe it's required by law, but I'd have to go look that up.
Of course you order a half a pint here in the states as well. Of course it would be the same price and you may get some odd looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2014, 10:47:24 am »
We need some trends. But not laws, just trends. 1. Lower abv and lower IBU more available. 2. Smaller glasses at smaller prices.

Hmm, my biggest beer is 1.050 and bitterest is under 50 IBU. And I have some 8 oz disposable cups... trend started!

My wife would probably stop drinking beer if it was all under 50 IBU.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2014, 10:49:18 am »
Glad to see yellowhammer is on the trends. We offer 4 or 6 glass taster flights on wooden paddles. Damn I'm good. ;)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2014, 12:05:10 pm »
I love to get flights in smallish glasses - I always say its like being a kid in a candy store - I don't want to have too much volume of any one beer, because I want to try a bunch of them.  I agree to pay a little more, because the labor to pour and serve and clean is a little more.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2014, 12:19:55 pm »
I'm surprised to hear that taster flights seem trendy. I've seen them at pretty much every brewpub I've been to, and if available I always order one. I'd rather be able to sample 4-6 of the beers being offered than be limited to the 2 or 3 I would typically get over the course of a meal.

Plus, I get a taste of beers I'd rarely order a full pint of, but am interested in tasting. For example, I'm not generally inclined to order a fruit beer or a blonde ale, but I'm generally the one my non-beer nerd friends turn to for recommendations. I like to steer them in the right direction. Also, something like a light lager or a blonde ale is a pretty good indication of a well-run brewhouse when done correctly.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2014, 01:33:42 pm »
I'm surprised to hear that taster flights seem trendy. I've seen them at pretty much every brewpub I've been to, and if available I always order one. I'd rather be able to sample 4-6 of the beers being offered than be limited to the 2 or 3 I would typically get over the course of a meal.

Agreed.  I can't recall a place around here in the last 15 years that hasn't done it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »
Agreed, when the brewing takes place on site flights are often available, but not so often around here when it is a "serving only" pub that isn't brewing its own.  But I don't understand why beer on tap isn't offered in flights of short glasses.  Maybe it is due to local ordinances that require one beer at a time being served (I have asked for two different beers at once - knowing that the place is short staffed on a busy night - and have been told "I can only serve you one drink at a time".)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2014, 02:37:53 pm »
Really? Thought we started it... ;)