Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sacchra 50 in a Red IPA  (Read 2520 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Sacchra 50 in a Red IPA
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:47:00 am »
Hi guys, I am looking into this Sacchra 50 grain. I have done some serious digging and I just haven't been able to find enough info to build a recipe with. Supposedly the grain behaves in between a Munich malt and a Crystal malt. It's color is 50L and Great Western claims that it "doesn't get in the way of the hops" and recommends it for a "Red IPA." The tricky thing is that it takes 12-15% to actually make a beer red. If this were a regular crystal malt, that would be an insane amount to add to an IPA. Has anyone brewed anything with just Sacchra 50 and base malt? What percentage should I use?

I was thinking either I'd go 12% in a ~1.066 malt bill with just domestic pale ale malt and sacchra 50 or I'd use ~6% and maybe ~2% carafa/blackprinz for color.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Sacchra 50 in a Red IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59:57 am »
Denny has - hopefully he'll weigh in. I'm wanting to try it, too. Sounds like maybe a better, or at least different, alternative to Red X which I find over the top malty for some styles.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:47:34 am »
It's a lot different than Red X.  Much drier.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:54:47 am »

Thanks for the info, Denny. Now I really need to use it.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:27:28 am »

It's kinda like a cross between C60 and Vienna.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:28 am »

It's kinda like a cross between C60 and Vienna.

I could use that in several beers. Sounds great.
Jon H.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:45 am »
Denny, would you use the same amount of Sacchra 50 as you would Crystal, or could you realistically use 12-15% without producing a cloying caramel bomb? How have you used it?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 04:44:15 pm »
Denny, would you use the same amount of Sacchra 50 as you would Crystal, or could you realistically use 12-15% without producing a cloying caramel bomb? How have you used it?

Consaidering I normally use anywhere from 10-20% crysatl, I'd say yes.  I really don,t get much if an caramel/sweetness from it.  AAMOF! I've been thinking I should try using it in addition to crystal rather than as a replacement.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
Ok, my plan is to go 85% pale ale malt (maybe a blend of 2-row and golden promise), 15% Sacchra 50, and an Amarillo/Simcoe hop bill (bittered with HopShot). I'm thinking ~1.070 and about 100 paper IBUs.