Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red X malt (Best Malz)  (Read 29853 times)

Offline veedo

• 1st Kit
Re: Red X malt (Best Malz)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 05:11:08 pm »
Can you comment on the flavor?  Is it like Munich?  Looks awesome.  Thinking about doing a beer with this malt and 10% rye.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:21 pm »
Ive only sampled a 50% red x wort. The beer will be ready in a couple weeks. Cant wait to taste. Wort wise its dryer than munich in my opinion. Grainier, less sweet and smooth. It made an awesom scotchie though.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:45 am »
Can you comment on the flavor?  Is it like Munich?  Looks awesome.  Thinking about doing a beer with this malt and 10% rye.

Rich, smooth, lots of dextrin, some minor burnt sugar notes, some brown sugar… the beer we made with it is essentially a Red IPA so I can't pull every malt nuance out since there is a ton of Mosaic/Centennial/Citra all over it as well :)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 11:59:21 am »
That sounds really good. I read your post about that over in the Rex X thread on HomeBrewTalk and wanted to comment, but decided not to. I just ordered 10lbs of Red X, looking forward to brewing a 100% Red X Czech lager. I should've ordered more, I could've brewed a Red Rye lager.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 12:07:03 pm »
That sounds really good. I read your post about that over in the Rex X thread on HomeBrewTalk and wanted to comment, but decided not to. I just ordered 10lbs of Red X, looking forward to brewing a 100% Red X Czech lager. I should've ordered more, I could've brewed a Red Rye lager.

I want to try it too, to compare against Munich.  Sounds pretty interesting. Love the color.
Jon H.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 07:26:10 am »
Does anybody know what the diastatic power of Red X is?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32:15 am »
I tried to find it, couldn't. What are you planning on doing? They say it will convert itself at 100%. I would probably not try to use it to convert an adjunct though.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:21 am »
I tried to find it, couldn't. What are you planning on doing? They say it will convert itself at 100%. I would probably not try to use it to convert an adjunct though.
Doing a Red Rye IPA 19lbs Red X, 4lbs flaked rye, 2 lbs Carared.  Maybe I'll just swap 4 lbs of the Red x, for Best Pils.  It has a diastatic power of over 200!
Dave Koenig

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 11:50:52 am »
There ya go.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:40 am »
Doing a Red Rye IPA 19lbs Red X, 4lbs flaked rye, 2 lbs Carared.  Maybe I'll just swap 4 lbs of the Red x, for Best Pils.  It has a diastatic power of over 200!

1 or 2 lbs would be enough.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »

If you used rye malt instead of flaked rye, everything would convert itself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 03:09:55 pm »
A DP over 200 for a Continental malt? I would think that maybe that is the WK index not degrees Lintner. 6 row is in the 160-180 degrees Lintner range.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:24 am »
A DP over 200 for a Continental malt? I would think that maybe that is the WK index not degrees Lintner. 6 row is in the 160-180 degrees Lintner range.
Oops, you are right, my bad.  The pils is 250 WK/74 Lintner.
I found out the Red X is 225 WK/68 Lintner.  I think I'm going to go with the Rye Malt anyway since my LHBS has both.
Dave Koenig

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 10:50:43 am »
Oops, you are right, my bad.  The pils is 250 WK/74 Lintner.
I found out the Red X is 225 WK/68 Lintner.  I think I'm going to go with the Rye Malt anyway since my LHBS has both.

I like rye malt better than flaked. I think it avoids some of the unpleasant phenolic character (plasticy) while still giving a nice spice.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »
I like rye malt better than flaked. I think it avoids some of the unpleasant phenolic character (plasticy) while still giving a nice spice.

+1.060
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell