Author Topic: Red X malt (Best Malz)  (Read 6184 times)

Online erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Red X malt (Best Malz)
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
Has anyone heard of/tried this one yet? It is 11-13L and says that it can be used up to 100% of the malt bill, so I'm wondering if this is some kind of reddish Munich malt.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/red-x-malt-best-malz-1-lb/?utm_source=New+Malt&utm_campaign=Expanding&utm_medium=email
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
Re: Red X malt (Best Malz)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »
Nice, good find! I'm definitely interested in giving that a try. Love the Best Malz line.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ajk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »
I was just reading about that on Best's web site.  At first I figured it was like Carared, but it's not as dark, and the site says it can be used for up to 100% of the grain bill.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »
I was wondering if it was from robust barley which is a 6 row malting variety that supposedly provides a reddish color but according to Best malz site it is from summer 2 row and the color comes from the malting process. does indeed sound like a slightly darker munich.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »
Does it have anything to do with Peter Tosh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJ0b98bI1o

If you like reggae, this is an awesome documentary.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »
I'm definitely tempted to use a large percentage of this in a Doppelbock once my current lagers are ready to repitch. I've loved everything I've tried from Best so far, and it's nice to see good maltsters developing new products. We have a bazillion new hops out there to play with, its about time we start seeing new malts.
Eric B.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
Excellent! I think I order a sack next time I order malt and give her a whirl!
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 10:44:36 PM »
I'm going to try a Vienna SMaSH with it.

Online erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:26:15 AM »

Red Danube Lager?

Now that I think of it, I have some Red Poppy dregs that are waking up right now. I might try a SMaSH/Single dregs Flanders Red with this myself...
Eric B.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »

Red Danube Lager?

Now that I think of it, I have some Red Poppy dregs that are waking up right now. I might try a SMaSH/Single dregs Flanders Red with this myself...

Now you're talkin. I like that idea.
Would definitely like to hear how it does as 100% of grist. Not sure I want to wait 18 months though.  ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »

Red Danube Lager?

Danube is more muddy color then red.
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Online erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
I brewed a 1-gallon SMaSH with this yesterday, and thought I'd post some thoughts.

I have some serious allergies going on right now, so my sense of taste is all messed up. Amazingly, my sense of smell is doing just fine, though. I smelled the Red X side-by side with several other grains, and it is almost a dead-on match in aroma with the "German Light Munich" malt I have from NB (not sure of the specific maltster - could be Best for all I know). Very bready. Vienna and Dark Munich were nowhere close.

The grain has an interesting look to it. The husk looks very much like normal Munich malt - the same light tan coloration. But the kernel inside is a pretty dark red-orange in color.

Again, my taste buds are pretty shot, but flavor-wise the wort seems what I'd expect from Munich - sweet and bready. In the mash and boil, it didn't look much different than an all-Munich brew.

I was starting to get a bit disappointed. But then I poured the cooled wort into a 1-gallon jug and set it outside for a few hours to get down to lager pitching temps. When I brought it back in to pitch a lot of the break had started to settle out and the top layer was much clearer and dark. I shone a light through it, and the color was a deep garnet with orange tint. Quite impressive!

I'll try to get some pics up later, but from what I can see so far, this is a really neat trick - Red Munich malt.
Eric B.

Offline goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »
I am brewing a double red/amber ale tomorrow. I was planning to use Munich but they had Red X so I thought I would give it a try. The base is split with two row so it makes up about 47% of the total grain. The estimated SRM of the beer is about 17 so I am not sure how red it will actually end up. I have never done a beer with this value so I am not really sure what to expect...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:27:20 PM by goschman »
On Tap:                       
Lemongrass Blonde / RYEteous Super Ale / Habnero Wit / XPA #2 / American Strong Ale / Baltic Porter

Fermenting: Golsch
Up Next: Pumpkin Alt, XPA #3, Irish Red

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »
I brewed a 1-gallon SMaSH with this yesterday, and thought I'd post some thoughts.

I have some serious allergies going on right now, so my sense of taste is all messed up. Amazingly, my sense of smell is doing just fine, though. I smelled the Red X side-by side with several other grains, and it is almost a dead-on match in aroma with the "German Light Munich" malt I have from NB (not sure of the specific maltster - could be Best for all I know). Very bready. Vienna and Dark Munich were nowhere close.

The grain has an interesting look to it. The husk looks very much like normal Munich malt - the same light tan coloration. But the kernel inside is a pretty dark red-orange in color.

Again, my taste buds are pretty shot, but flavor-wise the wort seems what I'd expect from Munich - sweet and bready. In the mash and boil, it didn't look much different than an all-Munich brew.

I was starting to get a bit disappointed. But then I poured the cooled wort into a 1-gallon jug and set it outside for a few hours to get down to lager pitching temps. When I brought it back in to pitch a lot of the break had started to settle out and the top layer was much clearer and dark. I shone a light through it, and the color was a deep garnet with orange tint. Quite impressive!

I'll try to get some pics up later, but from what I can see so far, this is a really neat trick - Red Munich malt.

Thanks for the info. I can see using that in several beers. Look forward to your final tasting impression.
Jon H.

Online erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:07:14 PM »
FWIW, I didn't click off the "Mashed" button when I added this to my recipe on Brewer's Friend. As a consequence I only hit an OG of 1.042, when I was targeting the mid 1.050's. I'm still planning on using this in a SMaSH Flanders red at a much higher gravity, so it will be interesting to see how red it would be at a higher gravity.

Here's a shot of the grain:

Here's the best shot I got in the fermenter. Hopefully I'll have some better ones post-ferment:
Eric B.