Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain life/ crushing  (Read 3665 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Grain life/ crushing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:52 am »
I've read online that some plate mills will potentially throw metal shavings into the grain. Have you had that issue?

I have not seen any shavings in my grain but I also haven't tried running a magnet over it. I will give that a try on my next batch and report back.

I'm not sure where the contact point would be that metal is grinding aggressively enough that it is tearing apart. The plates shouldn't be grinding against each other
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 08:14:02 am »
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/CaraRed is the info i was going off for carared, Shrug.

Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
I used to think it was caramel malt because that's the section Weyermann has it listed on their website, plus the "cara" thing. But the pros here say it's not and has to be converted. Just tapped an Irish that I used 2 pounds of it in. Doesn't taste overly caramel. Kind of a cross between Munich and Vienna to me. Lots of color.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:53:34 am »
I've read online that some plate mills will potentially throw metal shavings into the grain. Have you had that issue?

I have not seen any shavings in my grain but I also haven't tried running a magnet over it. I will give that a try on my next batch and report back.

I'm not sure where the contact point would be that metal is grinding aggressively enough that it is tearing apart. The plates shouldn't be grinding against each other
That seemed odd to me too. I mean, a mash should filter out the particles anyway, but those things are made for making bread. Perhaps its just cheap mills?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 10:17:26 am »

That seemed odd to me too. I mean, a mash should filter out the particles anyway, but those things are made for making bread. Perhaps its just cheap mills?

The one i linked was definitely a China Special.  when we first started using it there was def more debris in it then after it was broken in.  There can also be metal shavings in the grain itself but i mostly used the magnet to fulfil my own neurotic tendencies.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:41 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
This says up to 6 months stored properly.
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_2RowBrewersMalt.pdf

+1

It comes down to how fresh the grain is to begin with, so if the grain is fresh and stored properly (i.e. sealed in airtight container/bag etc...) it should maintain it's fresh flavor for many months (up to a year) after crushing. Vacuum sealing and cold storing will take it to the next level, but isn't necessary as long as it's kept in airtight container.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:25 am »
The last bag of Weyermann Pils malt had a best by date of over a year from when I bought it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24:33 am »
Considering placing a larger order for Crystal 40 and curious about...

1) How long will crushed grain last?

2) Can I buy a good grain crusher for a reasonable price?

The one problem I've found with precrushed malt is not using an entire sack at once.  If you use it a bit at a time, the fines drop to the bottom and the husks rise to the top.  Unless you remix it when you use it, yo;re likely to get too much of one or the other.  Not much of a problem with smaller amounts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »
Considering placing a larger order for Crystal 40 and curious about...

1) How long will crushed grain last?

2) Can I buy a good grain crusher for a reasonable price?

The one problem I've found with precrushed malt is not using an entire sack at once.  If you use it a bit at a time, the fines drop to the bottom and the husks rise to the top.  Unless you remix it when you use it, yo;re likely to get too much of one or the other.  Not much of a problem with smaller amounts.

This is a very good point!