Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Box thoughts  (Read 3446 times)

Offline yeastinfection

• 1st Kit
Beer Box thoughts
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:01 am »
I've seen the "BeerBox" advertised around the web and on this site. Has anyone used it, and what are your thoughts?
I think it is a really good idea, but the $200 price tag seems really steep to me considering that "Tap-a-Draft" systems and mini keg systems are already out there at less than half the price. 
Does anyone know if it can withstand the pressure of force carbonating? If so, I can more readily understand its use, but if not then portability is greatly diminished due to sediment issues.
I'm not trying to be overly critical. I applaud the ingenuity and diligence involved with bring a product such as this to market.
Thoughts?
http://www.brewingtools.com/

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer Box thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:19:02 am »
That thing looks pretty ridiculous to me... But I will add that if you can condition in it and it can hold the pressure built up from the yeast during that to carbonate your beer then you can force carbonate in it at the same psi (no clue what the max pressure rating for it is though).  I have a Party Pig I won a few years ago that I've never used.  I just don't have a need for the system, but def not at $200...

Check out Adventures right now they have used 3 gallon pin lock kegs for $50.  CO2 Keg charger is $19. Pin-Lock gas connector is $6.  Picnic Faucet Assembly with pin-lock fitting is $14.  So a much better option in my opinion for $89.  Though I guess you would likely want new gaskets if you don't have extras at home so add on another $3 for those.  $92 and you're still less than half the cost...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:15 am »
And for $20 more - brand new stainless steel 2.5 gallon keg.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »
They are for sure of a lesser quality than the kegs we're used to though... I'll be curious as to where most of them will be in 5 years.... I've seen them with all sorts of rust inside of them (brand new) and they dent and bend pretty easy... Just not impressed with them... That's why I'm so happy they got these used pin kegs in stock... I won one at a local competition and man am I liking it... Of course it takes quite a bit of elbow grease to clean it before use...  Picking up another one next week when I go in there to drop off some competition entries for Wizards of Saaz ;-)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
right but in both cases (3 gallon or 2.5 gallon) you are talking about less volume. the beer box is 200 bucks for 2 so the used 3 gallon is still slightly cheaper per volume unit but the 2.5 gallon isn't.

not saying it's a good idea just saying that those comparisons don't totally work. Personally I would get a 5 gallon pin lock and call it good.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »

Personally I would get a 5 gallon pin lock and call it good.

+1
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:38:12 pm »
They are for sure of a lesser quality than the kegs we're used to though...
I don't know. I have three used kegs that I bought online and I'm pretty sure I got what's left after everyone else picked through. I won't order used kegs online again.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:56 pm »
I don't know. I have three used kegs that I bought online and I'm pretty sure I got what's left after everyone else picked through. I won't order used kegs online again.

IME, the quality available in used kegs today is about what would have been rejected a few years ago.

I bought a couple of the cheap 2.5 gallon kegs a few years back.  They seem fine, but the steel is quite thin.  I don't abuse my kegs though, so that shouldn't really be a problem.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:49 pm »

IME, the quality available in used kegs today is about what would have been rejected a few years ago.

Agreed. I bought a few used ones 9 or 10 years ago that would be almost brand new by today's standards. Better quality too.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »
Yeah the used kegs we're getting today are the ones they have reimported back from China.  Most of my kegs (24 ball locks, 8 pin locks, and a 3 gallon pin lock) are from 3-4 years ago.  I will say the 3 gallon pin lock I got just a couple weeks ago was in really good condition... Just dirty and had syrup in it... which all of my kegs were dirty with syrup when I bought them... so no big deal.  Almost all my kegs come from Adventures in Homebrewing.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »
My local stopped selling used kegs because it was becoming so difficult to get decent ones.  I think their supplier gave up, as well.

Back to the original topic, though, I have not used these nor the Tap-A-Draft system.  What I have found with the mini systems I've used is that they each have some sort of draw back. 

I'm not sure I get the purpose of these boxes.  If they're for taking beer to parties, growlers work great and pretty much every one of us has growlers lying around.  If they're to be a replacement for kegs, I think there are a number of draw backs. 

First, cleaning.  How are you ever going to ensure that thing is clean?  I've used 2.5 gallon water bottles that are a similar shape and eventually they start to grow mildew because you just can't get the inside to dry out.

Second, carbonating and/or dispensing.  Reliance on the mini CO2 injector means you'll never be able to dial in your pressure.  You probably would need to naturally carbonate and then use the injector just for dispensing.  The injectors release a LOT of pressure quickly.  I've over pressurized mini-kegs and had the bottom pop out.  It's easy to do, because you have no regulator.  You might could get one of those mini Leland regulators, but they are costly.

My recollection of the tap-a-draft is that you can't really force carb them, either.  But I could be wrong.

If you need a small system, I'd spend a little more and get the small ball-lock kegs.  They'll still be usable when you upgrade to a keezer.  Or, if you give up and sell them you'll get your investment back.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 06:18:01 pm »
Mine are of the "lovingly abused" variety but all in excellent condition.

I saw the writing on the wall and acquired 12 for less than $40 each shipped free to my home. Last time I counted I had 16 five gallon ball-locks and they shined up real good. I wouldn't buy one now without a guarantee and warranty.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis